Pest ID? and Parameter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pest ID? and Parameter question

i noticed these guys on my glass this morning. Terrible picture, but they're really small and tan. They are kind of a "U" shape and do move around. Any ideas on what they are? Baby snails?

Also, a couple of my corals that I've had for a month or so haven't been looking the best lately. Checked water parameters and everything (that I can test) seems okay.

1.025 salinity
    0 nitrate/nitrate/ammonia
    alkalinity (was in between low and normal according to my red sea test kit)
    phosphate was around .1

Are corals happier in certain locations? I'm also getting some diatom algae growth now too.

found this pic online.. better than mine and same thing. about the size of a pencil tip

Comment

That's a white flat worm.

They are way better to deal with than red flat worms but I would still nuke them before it gets out of hand.

Use flat worm exist before it gets bad. I've done battle with the white flat worms and won before....the same can't be said about the red ones.
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Since I cant tell dimensions does this have a body or is it flat? Could be a flat worm which is very annoying and can be deadly to corals if they go rampant.

Second question. Sometimes corals can just get pissed off for one reason or another. But they can also get pissed because they dont like the location. Whether its light too much or too little, flow, nutrient build up. Did you change anything? I would just watch it and if it doesnt start opening back up then try a different spot if you changed something.
        Resident fish bum
        330G FOWLR
        34G Reef
        330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
        28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I used flatworm exit to knock down the population and then followed up with a six line and I killed flat worms.
          Resident fish bum
          330G FOWLR
          34G Reef
          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

re: corals

If water conditions are on put than it's the flow.

Which corals are not opening?

I fine LPS likes very slow flow compared to what we normally use in FW African tanks.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
              I used flatworm exit to knock down the population and then followed up with a six line and I killed flat worms.
              Man, I know you won your battle. But I had a tank crash b/c of the flat worms. They convenience me to dip all incoming corals now.

I rather deal with nudibranches than red flat worms.

I have 4 different 6 lines and none of them even eat the flat worms.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Thanks - Ordered some flatworm exit and have a sixline in the tank already.

In terms of corals, it's basically just my two hammers that really haven't come out recently. They used to in the same location. Maybe the worms are messing with them?

Comment

Make sure to read the directions carefully on it.
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Nahhh, the white flat worms don't really mess with corals. They just cover them up and this may effect now much light the coral is getting.

Are the hammers kind of closed or they closed all the way?

I'm guessing it maybe flow. Is the polyp being push back in one direction any?

A video would help.
                    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Heres a short video - Early on, I zoom in to the left side of tank where you see the two hammers (well one hammer, and one white colored coral shaped like a hammer... another species?) Then in the bottom left of the view is my frogspawn. They're not coming out as they should, and have been there for a couple weeks now. They are hit by flow, but nothing directly by the koralias.

Comment

Looks to me like to much flow in your tank my hammer and frogspawn didn't come out much when I had the flow to high

johnnymisty

Comment

Might be flow or lights.

What fixture do you have again?

I would run half the t5s and take out a power head.

From the way your other corals are moving....there maybe too much flow.
                          Last edited by myjohnson; 07-07-2012, 12:29 AM.
                          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I'll try that, didnt think 2x k3s would be too much flow as people put vortecs in tanks this size. Are vortech currents more broad or something? I'll unplug a powerhead and try that

I have the aquatic life 6 bulb fixture Midnight-7am are lunar LEDs only, from 7-noon are 2x blue bulbs, noon-5 all 6 bulbs (3 blue/3white), 5-midnight are the 2 blue bulbs again

Comment

I have an MP10 on the lowest setting in a 55g....

I would run only 2 t5 bulbs for a week to see what happens. Then to 4 bulbs the following week.

I had both hammer and FS corals close up due to too much light and too much flow before.
                              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                              X