how to stock a nano reef.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to stock a nano reef.

I have seen that I should start with the cleaning crew, then corals and last fish if I intend to add.

For the inverts what would be a good choice for a 10g nano.

Nassarius, Nerites, Ceriths, and DIBS Turbos. Check out reef cleaners he has packages just get half of whatever it says.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I have has great luck with margarita snails, two hermits, and my cleaner shrimp.

In my six gallon, I have three snails and the one cleaner. You may want to double that count. Also, I am about to add a couple nassarius snails to work on the sand bed.

Be sure to give your hermits some extra shells to take over as they grow, it will keep them from attacking your snails. At least that's the advice I've been given.

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
        Nassarius, Nerites, Ceriths, and DIBS Turbos. Check out reef cleaners he has packages just get half of whatever it says.
        he has like a 10g and 5.5g only snails, I guess I should get the 5.5g package and can I add hermits with spare shells?

Comment

That would work.

I don't think you *need* the hermits, but to me, they are the very interesting and add much to the tank.

Also, a shrimp or two would be great, just because they move a lot and look good. They make the tank seem alive, even without fish.

Comment

Hermits will murder the nerites and ceriths no matter what. I have hermits and even added tons of empty shells while they did use them they still killed my other snails.
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

well in that case I will go with only snails as a start.

so you say go for the 5.5 gallon correct? instead of the 10g package

Comment

Wow. That's good to know. Thanks. I haven't had any issues with them and the margarita snails.

Comment

Yeah they usually send a ton of snails in those orders. I know Jeb and MJ got twice as many snails as the order said was coming.
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Hermits are also a pain in the but knocking corals over

Comment

what about adding also an emerald crab, I didn't realized hermits will be a problem with snails but always though of having a crab in the tank.

will a single emerald be ok.

Comment

They eat hair algae until they can get meatier foods. I feed my tank a lot to keep fat happy fish and corals so there is plenty of times the emeralds will just wait for food to come near them because its tastier and easier to get.
                        Resident fish bum
                        330G FOWLR
                        34G Reef
                        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

well I went an ordered only the package of snails since it is free shipping, adding the crab ended up that I needed to use overnight and it was going to be $30.00 extra just for shipping , I might look in the LFS for the crabs, since even that might be expensier I would think it will be less that the $30.00 of shipping.

Comment

I don't trust crabs of any kind....
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                            X