Fire Eel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Eel

I was thinking about a fire eel for my tang tank. Do you think they would eat leleupis or Shellies? Anyone ever owned a fire eel? Did they mess with any of your fish? The one I am looking at is an adult and I will be getting some 1" frontosas. Think that would be a problem?
    125G: Mikula Frontosas
    75G: Mbuna Cichlids, Jack Dempsey

they will go after the shellies for sure.

They stalk small fish so anything that isn't in motion will become dinner. If you are set on trying an eel might I suggest a tanganyikan eel? Much cooler IMO.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

+1 tanganyikan spiny eels are awesome and there are quite a few different species to choose from
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Really? Okay! I'm def not set on a fire eel. Do the other eels stalk the smaller ones also?

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
          +1 tanganyikan spiny eels are awesome and there are quite a few different species to choose from
          Great suggestion!
          http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Caecomastacembelus plagiostomus - 12"
            Mastacembelus ellipsifer
            - 18"

There appears to be quite a few different species, but these are are the most often imported and available (albeit occasionally). They command a hefty price, but ar far more reasonably sized then the larger spiny eels (fire and tire track). From my experiance with other spiny eels, they do well in groups as long as they are similarly sized. The do like sand and will bury themselves regularly. Feeding can be tricky (they love earthworms and anything moving) and these appear to be piscivores so I imagine small fry and anything that might fit in their mouth could be on the menu (some shellies I imagine). Look over some forums and keepers experiance and stockings and you should get a good idea on what will work with them. I seem to remember Daves rare fish having some ellipsifer and I do see them every once in awhile locally. Ultimate Fish had one awhile back and might still, just call.
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

There are two other species that I can't link through my phone. There's a zebra eel and a white/leaucistic
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

But will they all eat my Shellies?

Comment

What species do you have? What size are they? Do you have any fry? Do you expect to?
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

I don't think they will, looking at their mouth
                    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

I Don't have any fish in my tank yet but I will start out with 20 1" frontosas and slowly weed the males out as they grow. I will have various tangs like comps, Calvus, gold ocellatus shellies, neolamps, brichardi etc. I may get them at 1" also. I am not trying to breed anything so I'm not worried about fry. If they live, yippee! Any eels that would go with these? I don't wan to spend over $70 or so on an eel. Any in that price range?

Comment

Of course some of them will come out of the tank when the fronts get older. Aka shellies

Comment

They usually sell from $50-$100 depending on size and species. I imagine the smaller plagiostomus would be better with shellies, given they could not fit in their mouths. All are wild caught that I am aware of, so smaller specimens can be harder to locate. As to fry, I imagine they would be on their diet, but the comps and altos are notorious fry eaters as well. On the other hand I have heard that gold occies are quite aggressive and can survive with some surprising tankmates and need far larger tanks then one might imagine (30+ gallons)
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

I have a young (about 10in) fire eel that I've had about a year now. I love him! I'm growing him out in a 10g, about to transfer to a 29g. black sand, pvc, and java ferns. he definatley digs up plants, but he lives with 2 dwarf frogs and at one point I had livebearer fry in the tank, I was curious, so I put in a pregnant gold dust molly. my eel wouldn't touch them. the frogs however... as a matter of fact, the only thing he will eat is live earthworms, straight from my hand. he is also a great escape artist, not only busting out of the tank but also with a proclivity for hiding out inside my power filter. I had to make a screen for the outflow and I keep the water level pretty low so he can't get up the stream of water falling out. more of a pet that happens to live in water.
                            my fish house:
                            2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
                            6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
                            29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
                            45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
                            2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
                            125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
                            and about a dozen bettas....

Comment

10gl-fire_eel-mr.jpg
                              my fish house:
                              2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
                              6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
                              29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
                              45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
                              2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
                              125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
                              and about a dozen bettas....

Comment

Working...
                              X