No announcement yet.

Where to get a large aquarium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Where to get a large aquarium?

I've been away from aquariums for many years, but finally want to get back in. The idea is to get a large (preferably 375 or maybe a 300 gallon) aquarium for arowanas and other monsters. I really want it to be the showcase of my living room.

I spoke with the manager at the Fish Gallery, but the cost for a tank/stand/hood is very high there. They do deliver which is handy, but it would take me months (years?) to save up for the asking price.

I've been in contact with Glasscages.com, and the prices are much lower. Their tanks and stands look very nice. They have a monthly truck to Houston, but I have no idea how to get the aquarium home and into the house from their drop-off point. I've never moved a big aquarium and have no idea what it will take. I would need to rent a u-haul since I only have a small suv. Seems all of my friends/neighbors are either old, or have bad knees, or bad shoulders. How do people move these large beast tanks around?

So, now I'm not sure what to do... any suggestions?
    3200G - Koi pond with planted bog pond
    675G - Black Arowana, Giant Gourami, Silver Dollars, Mono Sebae, Geo Surinamensis, Nicaraguense, Tinfoil Barbs, Balas, Roselines
    300G - Discus, Angels, Surinamensis, Keyhole Cichlids, Rainbow Cichlids, Black Ghost, Tetras, Corys
    300G - Severums, Fesitvum, Chocolate, Brasiliensis, Electric Blue Acaras, Rainbows, Filament Barbs, Silver Arowana (grow out)
    200G - African Cichlids (Malawi)
    75G - African Cichlids (Malawi) grow out
    65G - Green Terrors, Monos (grow out) - not sure what to do with this aquarium

Get some friends or family and carry it best way to do it when you get it make sure you have enough room for all of it in your vehicle/s the bigger the tank the more people people on here have some nice monster set ups for sale as well might find a better deal

Comment

a 375 gallon aquarium would probably weigh in excess of 800 pounds empty. i would think that is probably beyond 'friends and family' lifting capacity lol. i asked the owner of fish r us in the woodlands how he would move the used 750 gallon acrylic that he has for sale and he told me that he hired a moving service for about 300 bucks to get it there. they slid the aquarium in and out of a uhaul type truck on pipe rollers and used hydraulic pallet lifters on either end to raise / lower it. i think i would consider that money well spent to let insured experts do the work. i noticed on glass cages that a 300 gallon acrylic is a few hundred bucks more than a 350 glass, that would weigh much less than the glass tank. pm chris360 on this forum, i know he has some aquaria of that size and he may have advice for you.
      75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
      28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
      12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
      29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
      45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
      33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Get with ADG as well. From what I have seen, their tanks are lower than FG including delivery.

Yes, if you can't muster up several ppl, best let insured professionals do it for you.
        http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Yes a moving service would make good sense. I would be more than willing to pay $300 to have a 375 picked up and delivered.

I just inquired about a 375 acrylic from Glasscages and it would be about $1100 more than a glass 300 (for the tank/stand/canopy). So, that may be a good option... for some reason the acrylic option seems more manageable long-term.

Should I be worried about an acrylic aquarium with the monster fish? I had a 180 acrylic years ago that I bought used, it had a fair amount of scratches when I got it since it was a display tank at a gas station. My largest fish was a pacu that grew so big it could barely turn around. He tried to bust the tank a few times, normally when startled, but he never succeeded.

Thanks for all of the ideas!

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
          a 375 gallon aquarium would probably weigh in excess of 800 pounds empty. i would think that is probably beyond 'friends and family' lifting capacity lol. i asked the owner of fish r us in the woodlands how he would move the used 750 gallon acrylic that he has for sale and he told me that he hired a moving service for about 300 bucks to get it there. they slid the aquarium in and out of a uhaul type truck on pipe rollers and used hydraulic pallet lifters on either end to raise / lower it. i think i would consider that money well spent to let insured experts do the work. i noticed on glass cages that a 300 gallon acrylic is a few hundred bucks more than a 350 glass, that would weigh much less than the glass tank. pm chris360 on this forum, i know he has some aquaria of that size and he may have advice for you.
          675G - Black Arowana, Giant Gourami, Silver Dollars, Mono Sebae, Geo Surinamensis, Nicaraguense, Tinfoil Barbs, Balas, Roselines
          300G - Discus, Angels, Surinamensis, Keyhole Cichlids, Rainbow Cichlids, Black Ghost, Tetras, Corys
          300G - Severums, Fesitvum, Chocolate, Brasiliensis, Electric Blue Acaras, Rainbows, Filament Barbs, Silver Arowana (grow out)

Comment

Okay... not familiar with ADG, will Google them. I've only lived here for a short time, so I am not familiar with any of the aquarium businesses. Thank you for the suggestion.

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
            Get with ADG as well. From what I have seen, their tanks are lower than FG including delivery.

Yes, if you can't muster up several ppl, best let insured professionals do it for you.

Comment

They have a section on this forum in the retailers' section. Just read through a few threads and you'll find the contact information to Mike Senske, the owner. Give him or one of their sales guys a call and see what they can do for you.

Comment

http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforum...ghlight=ceejay

This person was selling a 300g tank. Seen it in person and it looks nice

Comment

I tried to get it last week, but it was already sold unfortunately. Thank you for the suggestion... I really like how ceejay had the tank looking with the black background and gravel.

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
                  http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforum...ghlight=ceejay

This person was selling a 300g tank. Seen it in person and it looks nice

Comment

You might want to try this guy.
                    280 gal for 550 beans

(EDIT) here's the post:

Huge fish tank for sale.

-Oceanic
                    -280 gallons
                    -home made stand
                    -no lids
                    -a few scratches (cant see w/water)
                    -buyer pickup in spring TX
                    -delivery to greater Houston area for $200 extra
                    -NO LEAKS
                    -For more info call 832-343-7295 (matt)

Good luck and post pics when your up and running. Would like to see your monsters.

Frankie
                    http://s1131.photobucket.com/profile/Darth_Coqui

Comment

That actually might be an ADG tank, going on the fact that my 280 is from ADG

Comment

Curious, what are the dimensions of that tank?

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
                        That actually might be an ADG tank, going on the fact that my 280 is from ADG

Comment

Mine is 72"*30"*30"

Comment

Got a 8x3x3 540g for sale w/ stand.
                            Live a good life and in the end,
                            it's not the years in a life,
                            it's the life in the years.

Comment

Wish I could get a 540 into my house... there is no door wide enough. A 450 is about the biggest 96" aquarium I could have.

Originally posted by chrishem View Post
                              Got a 8x3x3 540g for sale w/ stand.

Comment

Working...
                              X