Trying to set a 10G nano reef.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to set a 10G nano reef.

I have spare 10g tank, and I want to get into SW, I know smaller it is probably more work, but well I am used to change weekly water on all my current tanks, planted and african cichlids. So doing a weekly water change for this new tank shouldn't be a problem.

Now this is what I have read so far, but I need some guidance,

First of all I need light so I am planning on getting this 15W 10K/actinic:

For over 20 years, Finnex has offered high-performing products to our fellow aquarists. Finnex offers the most popular 24/7 aquarium LED series suitable for nearly all aquascaping applications. A full line of titanium aquarium heaters ranging from 50 watts all the way up to 800 watts.

Second some sort of flow, should I add a HOB like an aquaclear and try to use is as fuge? or just a power head?

I am confuse on the protein skimmer I read that is useless on such a small tank or should I get one and use it as the flow generator?

Live rock, I guess like 10lbs?

Live Sand? not sure how much?

Then not sure what else will i need to start the tank?

And can I get the live rock and sand and start the cycle without the light ?

I assume i just need that to start the cylce and then wait to start introducing the species ?

I know I might sound vague but that is as far as I have been, I am getting ready to order the light but not sure what else should i get online or just go to the LFS or petstore?

Live rock ya 10-20lbs live sand I like a 2-3" sand bed, skimmer depends on what your keeping a tank that size keeping softies and lps can probably get away with just water changes. Filtration you could get a hob refugium or an aquaclear and turn that into a fuge depending on how much flow is in the tank at that point you may or may not need a power head and no light is needed for the cycle

Comment

where should I get the live rock and live sand, which LFS recommend ? Gallery, city pets, fish ranch or fish land?

Comment

Post up on here in the buy sell trade Semper has some live rock for sale I believe city pets has some good prices on live sand ADG sells some good reef saver rock as well from what I've heard

Comment

i have live rock

you are welcome to drop by and take a look at my setups

you dont need skimmer on 10 gallon

i have an ada small tank, not sure which one, but its on my desk, with aqua clear hob filter, with cheato, live rock in back

pretty cool tank

have a par 38 led bulb on it

Comment

Originally posted by semper View Post
            i have live rock

you are welcome to drop by and take a look at my setups

you dont need skimmer on 10 gallon

i have an ada small tank, not sure which one, but its on my desk, with aqua clear hob filter, with cheato, live rock in back

pretty cool tank

have a par 38 led bulb on it

how much for the live rock, between 10~12 lbs, and a good time to go an pick it up during the week?

Comment

I just went to cicty pets, and well I grabbed there the light, rock, sand, and a nano koralia 240 gph, will get me the some RO/DI water and HOB filter soon and ready to fill up the tank,

should i mix the salt prior or just dump water and salt together.

here is a pick so far:

Comment

I would mix the salt in the water first then put in the tank make sure you check the salinity get a hydrometer or refractometer

Comment

Looks good so far you gonna paint the back of the tank if so do it before you fill it also if you paint it after its painted cover the back with that blue plumbers tape to keep it from scratching off

Comment

not sure about the paint or maybe just some sort of flannel or something on the back for now.

Comment

You could always use the black plastic sheets they have at petco but for that may as well use paper haha. Anyways I've heard of people just using a power head and nothing else in a nano tank. Just the weekly water changes alone is good enough to clean the water :) if you're going to use a aquaclear fuge get the 110 aquaclears. You'll have
                      more volume to the tank and plus youll have a lot more room in the filter itself to add other things too. On nano forums someone modded it to hold a biocube skimmer or a aquatic life skimmer and even a media rack.

Comment

Looks like a good start!

should i mix the salt prior or just dump water and salt together.

I'd mix it in a big jug and throw a powerhead in there to get it all mixed up!

Comment

So here is the latest pic:

Already filled up the hydrometer is showing 1.023 but I might get a refractometer, somehow I do not trust the hydrometer maybe it is me. I added the AC 50 with the sponge and purigen since I have a bunch of it and I am addicted to it.

I have more questions:

About the cycle: I assume nothing different from any tank right ammonia spike, nitrite spike, ammonia and nitrite levels to zero then nitrate spike? what other parameter should i look for?

I will start testing for ammonia soon but not sure how to get the ammonia in there (take a piss i guess ):

Would the die-off of the live rock create enough ammonia ?

Or should I add some sort of raw meat?

Or add household ammonia since that is the way I cycle my FW tanks? and I have a bunch of it.

Now regarding the salinity of the water:

I assume any evaporation I just need to add fresh water to the tank, since the salt will not go away?

Should I do weekly water changes during cycle and for that what ever goes out of saltwater 15~20% has to go in correct and approximately the same temperature and salinity correct?

Now since I have read that people set the aquarium with different salinity levels how do I tinker with it?
                          so if I want to take a gallon from 1.023 to 1.026 how much salt per gallon to do so? if there is such formula?
                          Or if I have to lower it how much freshwater to add.

And can I add salt directly to the tank or it has to always be diluted first.

And on the stock, I know it is early but what would be the order?
                          1st corals
                          2nd inverts
                          3rd small first max 2"?

I just checked the Ammonia and PH:

so far PH is 7.8 but I used Distilled water yesterday and I am using also CABSEA ARG live sand I assume the sand and live rock will buffer the PH to the right levels or do I need to mess with it ?

And ammonia it appears is reading already .5ppm so I would think that is from the live rock, then i shouldn't add anything correct?
                          Last edited by Raul; 06-26-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ometh View Post
                            You could always use the black plastic sheets they have at petco but for that may as well use paper haha. Anyways I've heard of people just using a power head and nothing else in a nano tank. Just the weekly water changes alone is good enough to clean the water :) if you're going to use a aquaclear fuge get the 110 aquaclears. You'll have
                            more volume to the tank and plus youll have a lot more room in the filter itself to add other things too. On nano forums someone modded it to hold a biocube skimmer or a aquatic life skimmer and even a media rack.

thanks, added the AC 50, I already have an AC 110 on my African Cichlid tank, but that this is huge for the 10g, the AC 50 I think is ok to put some media when it is needed like purigen and carbon, I guess the important part is the water changes on nanos, if I start putting more stuff then it will endup not being a nano I would think.

Comment

To kick off your cycle just throw a regular ole skrimp in there (dead one kind you eat)
                              As for salinity I keep mine at 1.025 had it where your at with no problems to adjust just add salt to raise it little at a time to lower just add water gotta play with it till you get it right for you
                              As for evap just add ro water keep up with it so your salinity remains constant get a ato if you can so you don't have to worry about it
                              And don't worry about water changes till your tank is cycled complety

Comment

Working...
                              X