No announcement yet.

First saltwater tank (very slow start)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First saltwater tank (very slow start)

i have been collecting thing now and then to start a salty tank heres what i have so far:
    • 20L(soon to be drilled)(thinking about derimming)
    • 10g sump
    • Nac3+ (need to pick up from myjohnson)
    • mag3
    • 24" t5ho QUAD light w/ DIY 1 watt LED (changing the color of the LED to blue)

I need a couple more things and ill be ready to set it up
    Need:
    • refractometer
    • reactor
    • maxijet for mixing salt
    • salt
    • live rock
    • live sand
    • ATO system(should i use a mini-jet or a aqualifter)

feel free to give me any advice or if im missing something...

i wanna make sure that i have everything before i start
    20L nano saltwater tank- (In Progress)

55G tropheus tank- 22 T. ikola,23 T. red chimba, 4 brevis, 3 b.pleco, 1 dwarf giraffe cat
    NO SUCH THING AS OVER FILTRATION... =DD

Nice!

I can frag some corals off for you when your tank is up and running.

Some of my thoughts:

1) don't de-rim the 20g. That's cheesy. Just get a 60p if you going to do all that.

2) I would use either the tunze or Elos ATO so you not need neither the mj or the al pumps. I been through 3 ATOs. Nothing works as well as the tunze or the Elos.

3) You also need at least a heater, return pump, and mp10 for flow.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

thanks for the frag offer!!.. once the tank is established ill hit you up..lol i got mag3 and a heater... i forgot to list the heater... lol.. man if i can afford a mp10 you know i would get that thing right away... lol =DDD... as for a ATO i have a extra piece of acrylic and ima just buy a float switch for it (i think ima do dual switch in case one fails)... i have limit space since i want to hardline everything...

55G tropheus tank- 22 T. ikola,23 T. red chimba, 4 brevis, 3 b.pleco, 1 dwarf giraffe cat

Comment

hey guys i have a great idea for my sump!! i wasnt thinking about doing a mangrove rack in the fuge area... have about 15-20 mangrove trees in it... what you guy think?!?!?

Comment

you need a pistol shrimp and a goby pair
          Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but there was a reason I didn't do mangroves in my Sump and I believe they have to grow a certin height to be effective or something like that

Comment

Originally posted by Kiko View Post
              hey guys i have a great idea for my sump!! i wasnt thinking about doing a mangrove rack in the fuge area... have about 15-20 mangrove trees in it... what you guy think?!?!?
              This would be cool.
              30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

having used mangroves before it is a slow means of nutrient export/consumption.

Skimmer > Macro Algae > Mangroves
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yea thats what i figured too... is cheato a macro algae?

Comment

Yes. Chaeto is a macro algae. I prefer a gravity fed topoff. I use a float valve and it has been great. I don't use mangroves because they consume magnesium. I don't want something to disrupt the ionic balance.

Comment

Been a little over a month and still haven't started. smh. Did you ever get the tank drilled?

Comment

Working...
                      X