Fluval 405 as overflow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluval 405 as overflow?

I want to set up a sump but do not want to use a over flow box to many things can go wrong and I can't drill the tank i would have nowhere to keep my livestock while the work on the tank is being done. I wanted to know if anybody has used a canister filter as an over flow box? Instead of the canister returning water to the main tank it dumps it into the sump.

Never done it but I would imagine what your talking about would be like using lily pipes

Comment

Too much potential error with that. What if the canister dies on you? You're tank will overflow since the pump in the sump is still running. When media inside the canister and tubing gets debris build up, it slows down the drain speed and your sump level will drop, potentially overflowing tank again. Overflow box is much safer than using a canister.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post
        Too much potential error with that. What if the canister dies on you? You're tank will overflow since the pump in the sump is still running. When media inside the canister and tubing gets debris build up, it slows down the drain speed and your sump level will drop, potentially overflowing tank again. Overflow box is much safer than using a canister.
        +1
        Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Only way that could be feasable would be if your sump was drilled on the side at the top and was located slightly above your tank. Then it could gravity feed the water back into the tank when the sump fills, kind of like how the hang on back fuges work. But then you would have to keep the water level in your tank a little bit lower to allow for any power off drainback from the plumbing.

Comment

Thank for the advice guys I'm just going to have to break down the tank an get it drilled less of a hassle in the long run

Comment

Originally posted by justjuice View Post
              Thank for the advice guys I'm just going to have to break down the tank an get it drilled less of a hassle in the long run
              Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

nick would LOVE to drill that tank for you lol

Comment

Tell nick to keep his drill away from my tank!........ Who is nick lol

Comment

Working...
                  X