Amazonia in Stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazonia in Stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stopped by ADG today and they have Amazonia in stock! Unfortunately they did not have Malaya

Just in time. i am about to set up my 20L.
    75g Tank,
    2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
    2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
    10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
    10g Tank
    Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

which one is recommended for skrimps (prolly the malaya) and what is that stuff running cost wise?
      75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
      28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
      12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
      29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
      45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
      33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

i heard amazonian is ok to use for shrimps. i think its about $26 for a 9L bag.
        75g Tank,
        2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
        10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
        10g Tank
        Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

I am using the Amazonian AS in some of my shrimp tanks (RCS, Yellows, OEBT's and CRS).
          150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
          125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
          115G Tanganyikan

Comment

The guy I spoke with at the store said that Malaya used to be the best for shrimp. The Amazonia 1 and 2 were not that great for shrimp for some reason. He said that the new Amazonia is now ranked equal for shrimp as Malaya.
            I just set up a 40 breeder with 2 bags of Amazonia and it will have shrimp in it in the future. I also know that Tim uses Amazonia in his shrimp tanks. The only reason I wanted Malaya was for my blue tigers. They are not very visible against the dark Amazonia color.

Comment

Well I was going to go over there after work but they close at five. Glad I called half way there. Grrr.

GHAC Member

Comment

are they selling the enw version of amazonia? instead of malaya you can use akadama

Comment

Yeah they are selling the new 3rd generation Amazonia.

Do you know where to find Akadama?

Comment

Amazon
                    75g Tank,
                    10g Tank
                    Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

Locally?

Comment

Originally posted by Vigilante View Post
                        The guy I spoke with at the store said that Malaya used to be the best for shrimp. The Amazonia 1 and 2 were not that great for shrimp for some reason. He said that the new Amazonia is now ranked equal for shrimp as Malaya.
                        I just set up a 40 breeder with 2 bags of Amazonia and it will have shrimp in it in the future. I also know that Tim uses Amazonia in his shrimp tanks. The only reason I wanted Malaya was for my blue tigers. They are not very visible against the dark Amazonia color.

Tim sold me a bag of Amazonia about a week ago.
                        Will trade Fish Stuff for Camera Lens and Anime Figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Vigilante View Post
                          Yeah they are selling the new 3rd generation Amazonia.

Do you know where to find Akadama?
                          Bonsai stores? They are actually fired clay spheres used for Bonsai, but not sure where there is a local dealer. Takashi Amano had his start in Bonsai and it was the impetus and ideology behind his substrates. Amazonia and his others are a micro version that incorperates some additional nutrients for plants if I am correct. Most of the naturally occuring substrate in the Amazon is actually inert sand, its the soft water and decaying vegetation that produce its low Ph.
                          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                            Bonsai stores? They are actually fired clay spheres used for Bonsai, but not sure where there is a local dealer. Takashi Amano had his start in Bonsai and it was the impetus and ideology behind his substrates. Amazonia and his others are a micro version that incorperates some additional nutrients for plants if I am correct. Most of the naturally occuring substrate in the Amazon is actually inert sand, its the soft water and decaying vegetation that produce its low Ph.
                            That is also my understanding of Akadama, but as soon as people figured out that it could be used for aquariums the prices sky rocketed. Amazon has 2lb bags for $25. From what I have read, if you can find a bonsai store that carries it then usually it is much cheaper. But hobbyist have figured this out also so finding it is difficult.

I ended up picking up a bag of Colorado Sand from ADG and I plan to cap Amazonia with it. It has a nice baked orange color that I was looking for in an Aquasoil. We'll see how it works out.

Comment

is akadama much different from the exo-terra hydro balls in composition? i bought some spherical kiln-dried clay susbstrate from a hydroponics store. it is of better quality than the hydro balls as the size is more consistant and its not as brittle

GHAC Member

Comment

Working...
                              X