clean up crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clean up crew

what would be a good clean up crew for an 40 gallon breeder with an 30g sump.
    how many and of what?

Talk to the guys over at reef cleaners. They will set you up with a good package.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I would get a "build your own" cleanup crew from LiveAquaria.com. if you get over $60 worth, you get free shipping. you can pick from all the different types of inverts like blue leg hermits, scarlet hermits, porcelain crabs, emerald crabs, urchins, peppermint/cleaner/coral banded shrimp, etc. in a 40br you can easily get $60 of CUC and not overcrowd the tank.

i would do

1 cleaner shrimp
      1 coral banded shrimp
      2 peppermint shrimp (unless you want to catch you own)
      1 porcelain crab (you can also catch these at Galveston)
      1 sally lightfoot crab
      1 emerald crab
      20 blue leg hermit crabs
      1 short spine urchin
      12 nassarius snails
      12 small turbo snails

do keep in mind that your CUC can suffer and die if you try to stock up big time on a new/young tank that doesn't have much for them to eat.

Comment

this is what www.reefcleaners.org sent me for my 40b for cuc and refugium. how does this set look to you guys. what would u add or take out ?
        30 Dwarf Ceriths
        11 Nassarius
        12 Florida Ceriths
        9 Assorted Hermits
        4 Large Nerite and 7 Small to medium Nerites
        1 five pack of mangroves
        1 chaeto

Comment

I would do blue leg hermits if you are going to do them and I personally hate them now because they knock crap over. You could get an urchin
          Resident fish bum
          330G FOWLR
          34G Reef
          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Toss out the mangroves. Cheato is more effective then most refugium algea. Other then that looks good. Maybe a cleaner or peppermint shrimp (2 or 4), emerald crabs (4) and maybe toss out the assorted hermits. You could end up with some snail murders. Stick to scarlet legs or blue legs for hermit.

Comment

I wouldnt get shrimp until its a little more established. They are a little more expensive and a little less resilient than the CUC. I usually get them when I add fish. Emerald crabs are overrated dont get them for the same reason as hermits they just knock crap over and once they taste prepared foods they dont do much on hair algae.
              Resident fish bum
              330G FOWLR
              34G Reef
              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

i would load up on hermits, not snails. they're much hardier which is important in a new tank.

Comment

Working...
                X