Question about comments made...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about comments made...

I was wondering... is it normal to just comment on any tank pictures with a "nice tank" or "nice pictures" when it's clearly a boo boo looking tank or picture?

Is it parental instincts that are kicking in where you have to praise? Guess this would be directed to those that are parents.

I've been looking through a lot of pictures lately and there have been some for instance... empty tank, few clay pots, blurry photo, can't tell what fish is in tank cause of blurry photo and there's a string of replies saying it's a nice tank. Am I the only one not seeing it? or am I just anAss?
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Just trying to be polite... If they are happy with what their tank looks like I am not one to say something. But if my tanks look like poop I want to know lol
    Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Trying to get post count up. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by 76dragon View Post
        Trying to get post count up. Lol
        He has nothing better to do at 2:40 in the morning
        Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Well, it varies and depends. Some may just say it to be polite, others say it because they like one aspect of the tank such as maybe the stand for example. Myself I just don't comment if I don't like it.

Comment

I agree it depends. Really boo boo I dont say anything but there are a lot of posts I dont say anything just because I didnt see it or have time. But I try to guide if I can. Like Andrews new SW tank. It wasnt boo boo but could use work, but it also depends on how receptive I know the person will be to constructive criticism.
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I think we owe it to them to be honest, there is a nice way of saying "Your tank sucks ***" believe it or not. If they get their feelings hurt then they never should of posted pics to begin with, take the good with the bad.
              420 Gallon: IT's, NGT's, NTT's, AT's, Cichla Pleizona, Bichirs, Blue Arowana, Spotted Gar, Clown Loaches

Comment

if you post tank pics, then you should expect both kinds of comments. i only get irked by 'you tank needs work' kinda comments without anything constuctive added. how does it need work? if you dont know then save your post space for someone who does. for the most part, people on HFB are constructive...i have little patience with some on TPT or APC.
                75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

I agree with that
                  420 Gallon: IT's, NGT's, NTT's, AT's, Cichla Pleizona, Bichirs, Blue Arowana, Spotted Gar, Clown Loaches

Comment

It goes both ways I think. Ive made previous comments to friends about pictures and they didn't take it well. Some people get their feelings hurt fast. Some people don't wanna take the time to learn how to fix the pictures but still get butthurt if you mention something. Other times people's tanks really suck.

Comment

Originally posted by soymilk View Post
                      ....get butthurt if you mention something. Other times people's tanks really suck.
                      lol, what he said.
                      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

If they ask for critique I'll give my opinion and what I think they can do different if I think it needs. If they just post a pic without asking for comment I usually don't make one. Often the newbies are so proud of the fact that their fish lived two weeks they just have to show someone... they get to post pics here... kinda like mommy putting junior's picture he painted of furball on the refrigerator when it looks more like furball in a blender.

Mark
                        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I am a big time ash hole so I am just trying to be polite if they don't ask for comments I am always open for comments good or bad.. I just ignore the bad ones lol.

I never think my tanks look good lol.
                          Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
                            kinda like mommy putting junior's picture he painted of furball on the refrigerator when it looks more like furball in a blender.

Mark
                            My point exactly!
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I look at tanks for lots of reasons. I can think back to my firrst tank. i had way too many fish in a small tank with black and blue gravel, with the silly no fishing shark decoration. i dont find that pleasing anymore. but someone does. so maybe what you dont like others do enjoy and comment. but even if i dont like tank, i wont comment. i will quitely lurk, waiting for zombies to get here lol
                              Never fear I is here
                              David Abeles
                              Vice President
                              Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
                              X