Which molly strain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which molly strain?

I'm thinking of starting a breeding project with mollies. I just haven't decided on the strain.
    Any favorites?
    Black Sailfins
    Red Sailfins
    Gold Dust Mollies
    Wild Sailfins
    Black Sailfin
    23.53%
    Red Sailfin
    17.65%
    Gold Dust
    41.18%
    Wild Sailfin
    17.65%
    Emerald Green Rainbowfish
    Yellow Rabbit Snails

I like the way gold dust and wilds look... your poll didn't allow for multiple choices.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I screwed up and forgot to check multiple options. I'm tech challanged.
      Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I went with wild. Im having issues breeding my wild mollies (regular) though. Hoping to get some more in a few months provided the ditches hold water long enough.

200 - African cichlids
        72 - Salty Bow Front
        33 Cube - community
        10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

What issues are you having with them? Wilds can be touchie. P. Latipinna is the variety found wild here. Many of the wilds collected are really beautiful fish, but possess many parasites when wild caught. I think the stress and strain of capture and transport allows them to sucumbe to disease. I use to collect wilds. They always did better on plant based diets. When I collected coastal specimens they did better with sea salt to the specific gravity of their collection site. Maybe I need to collect and deworm some, so I'll have some wild genes, if I go with a domestic sailfin strain.
          Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I've had mine for a little while but never really tried to have them breed. I changed the tank up several months ago and tried several things like keeping the temp steady, good food, and some moss but I still dont have any fry. Recently, I took the other fish out and have nothing but mollies in the tank. I'm starting to think that I just need some new fish.

200 - African cichlids
            72 - Salty Bow Front
            33 Cube - community
            10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

Gold dust!
              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

have you chosen a varity yet?
                Guppies:
                Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
                Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
                HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Gold dust molly!
                  All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

I haven't chosen a type yet. I love gold dust color, but black sailfins when done right are so dramatic, especially in a planted tank. Its just hard to get good black sailfins. My wife wants me to go back to wild bettas and licorice gouramis. I lost all my fish two months ago. My wife had been ill and we have a baby. Couldn't care or anything even neglected to feed some which unfortunately starved ( couldn't keep up with live foods).
                    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Nice running into you at FG today! Random, but good to meet ya! And good luck with the new tank setups.
                      All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Now if we could just get him to come to the GHAC meetings we'd be set!
                        75 planted (Being Renovated)
                        Endlers
                        gobies
                        lots of nanos

Comment

I wish I had the time to go. I use to go to the auctions long long ago (in a far far away galaxy)
                          Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

i know im late, but... gold dust! keeping these and feeding them well is a good way to keep the oscars in the tank next door entertained! boy are they fast...
                            IMG_20120608_063112.jpgIMG_20120706_232749.jpg
                            my fish house:
                            2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
                            6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
                            29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
                            45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
                            2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
                            125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
                            and about a dozen bettas....

Comment

Working...
                            X