Noisy Iwaki MD70RLT Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Iwaki MD70RLT Pump

I am starting a 160 gallon reef tank and this Iwaki MD70RLT pump came with it. This aquarium will be going in my living room and and this pump just makes to much noise and want to see what is recommended to replace it. I heard that the poseidon pumps run silent but I do not know since I have never used it. The pump is in the cabinet under the tank so I guess heat will be an issue I will need to keep in mind. I am new at this hobby so if any info is missing or needed let me know. Looking forward to all advice! Thanks

What is the 70 doing? If its just a return from the sump/fuge that is way to big for your size tank, IMO. I would down size.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
      What is the 70 doing? If its just a return from the sump/fuge that is way to big for your size tank, IMO. I would down size.
      It is used for the return. The tank is Marineland retail stand alone system so it have bigger components that what is really needed. What would you recommend me switching it with and please keep in mind sound. Thanks

Comment

As a comparison I have a 330G reef with a 60G sump and I am running an Iwaki 40RLT (750GPH). You dont need a big pump for the return you want a low flow for the sump/fuge. If you need water movement then you should get a PH (power head) like vortech, tunze, or koralia.
        Resident fish bum
        330G FOWLR
        34G Reef
        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

What size of a pump should I be using? Maybe a 20rlt?

Comment

40 is probably fine or similar pump like or you can go with a Mag 5
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Working...
            X