New member help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member help please

I found this site with the help of friends and family and needed some help figuring out what kind of fish I have.

I caught these out of a drainage ditch which might have had some help of a neighbors pond but since I caught them they are mine now.

I have no idea what they are but if anyone recognizes any please chime in.

Looks cool
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Blue Tilapia (Oreochromis aureus), an invasive cichlid brought in and farmed for a food fish
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Nerd!!!

Thanks mRoy
          http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

when is someone gonna invasively introduce some orange ruffy yo!
            75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
            28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
            12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
            29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
            45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
            33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

What would cross breed with this and make a hybrid?
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Mozambique or Java tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus, also known as Tilapia mossambica), blue tilapia (O. aureus, a.k.a. Tilapia aurea), Nile tilapia (O. niloticus, a.k.a. Tilapia nilotica), Zanzibar or Wami tilapia (O. hornorum, a.k.a. Tilapia urolepis), and the redbelly tilapia (O. zilli, a.k.a. Tilapia zill) all appear to be cross bred. I'd assume nearly any closer relatives as well.

(Regarding all Oreochromis family)Research is hampered by the fact that hybridization runs rampant in these fishes, which confounds mtDNA data and that the fast speed of evolution makes choice of appropriate sequences difficult.
                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

I'm looking for something more extreme in terms of hybridizing and not so much as just crossbreeding.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Like crossing it with a shark, and getting a tilapia that attacks people ?? What is all the facination with hybrids, doesnt anyone like what mother nature gave us origianlly?? no offense intended. :)

Comment

Originally posted by JIM View Post
                      Like crossing it with a shark, and getting a tilapia that attacks people ?? What is all the facination with hybrids, doesnt anyone like what mother nature gave us origianlly?? no offense intended. :)
                      Ah, but Mother Nature did not give us static animals. They change as their environments change, some faster some slower.
                      Guppies:
                      Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
                      Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
                      HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

There is a difference between evolution and intentional hybridization, thru introduction of alien species, fish that were never meant to be such as the bloody parrot for example. uuggghhh guess im just a fish bigot :)

Comment

The Blood Parrots are just soo wrong. They creep me out when there is a bunch of them in a tank just staring at you all at the same time. My husband is a fishy purist and it drives him nuts that our 4 year old son has a Blood parrot in the house. LOL
                          My fish have more personality than you

Comment

Originally posted by JIM View Post
                            shiits and giggles mainly.

We are human with the option to play god... there are a lot of things humans should not be doing but have the abilities to. I myself don't care much for hybrids nor see their worth but at the same time realize it's here to stay and as many purist the hobby can combine it will change nothing.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thats a sad reality, and i of course have no illusion that regardless of my thoughts on hybrids, human influence will win out in the end. I guess my only recourse is to say, " You have to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything" :)

Comment

Working...
                              X