Jelly fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jelly fish

Hi, One of my friends gave me his jelly fish and I don't know if I am taking good enough care of him. I am pretty sure he is a moon jelly fish, he is in temporary 1.5g aquarium until I get him a bigger one. He is under a 60watt bulb. Am I keeping him correctly or should I try finding him a new home?
    10g Community Planted Aquarium
    10g-CRS Planted Aquarium
    55g Saltwater Aquarium-
    20gH-Angelfish Planted Aquarium
    20gL-Leopard Gecko

A 13 Year Old Teen Who Loves his animals!!
    YOUTUBE: Michael15551

Get a spherical tank. jellies tend to get stuck in the corners of rectangular tanks and it tends to cause them stress from what I've heard. No sand or any type of decor because this can cause damage to the bell. FYI they have been recorded to grow 1ft across in captivity so be very wary in picking a tank for this guy. Big tank = big jelly small tank = small jelly. temps should be on the cooler side

Comment

Some months back I had an aquarium professional go into a detailed explaination for me of how to set up a proper jellyfish tank. Some of the points were as ometh said above. A bunch of the points I can't even remember at this time, but the estimated cost of the setup was in the thousands of dollars range (what they described was to keep a bunch of jellyfish not just one). Better get cracking on google to get some more husbandry info. Good luck.
      While I'm not reef ready, I am salt ernate lifestyle curious...

Comment

When it comes down to it you're paying more just for the tank. You can run basic wet dry or even canister filters on it but he tank like said above will be the mos expensive part. They have a nano sized orb tank somewhere online but the filtration lacks a lot.

Comment

I was just thinking you would have to be really careful with the filtration--maybe put sponges on the intakes--otherwise you could suck your jelly right down the intake?
          Last edited by Bedlamer; 04-29-2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bedlamer View Post
            I was just thinking you would have to be really careful with the filtration--maybe put sponges on the intakes--otherwise you could suck your jelley right down the intake?
            could work. the flow from the filter has to be really gentle so if you have a shut off valve on the lines to the tank turn them down a bit.

Comment

regards to the link i posted do it. I read that it comes with a sponge bubbler filter which is deadly to jellies. air + jellies = dead glob.

Comment

this is right lol this is what you'll be spending on most jelly set ups

Comment

That was a great link. Man, $3277 for the entry level full display tank and $29,390 for the top of the line one. OK, OP you get cracking on the paper route, I'll go buy some more lottery tickets--lol.

They, do have a smaller less elegant jelly suitable tank for $542 http://www.jelliquarium.com/ProductD...productID=3837

In their husbandry info they are saying the moon jelly is a cold water species and requires 55 F water, therefore a chiller is needed.

How is your moon jelly doing? Did you keep it or pass it along to someone else?

Comment

We have tons of jellyfish out here, my recommendation is keeping on of those Porteguese Man of Wars. They float and some tubing placed correctly will keep them in line and cost of free is terrific!!!!
                    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                    Desiderius Erasmus
                    GHAC President

Comment

Geez mRoy, I'm picturing you trying to board the chopper, while sneaking one of those things on with you. Pilot: Um, yeah, why is your duffel bag dripping and how did you get those ugly welts on your arms?

Comment

They are crazy thick out here at certain times of the year and we 'hook' them with our fishing poles and look at them fairly often. Man of Mars and moon jellies are the most common and at certain times of the year it is not uncommon to see thousands everywhere you look. Some are quite large (2' across their bell), but most are far smaller.

I used to bring out a dip net and collect floating sargassum at the lowest levels and I caught all sorts of hella cool shrimp, crabs, sargassum fish, and seahorses/pipefish mixed into it. I could easily get it on a helicopter with no one the wiser, but I'm crafty like that... no one expects a masterful invert ninja offshore!
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                          They are crazy thick out here at certain times of the year and we 'hook' them with our fishing poles and look at them fairly often. Man of Mars and moon jellies are the most common and at certain times of the year it is not uncommon to see thousands everywhere you look. Some are quite large (2' across their bell), but most are far smaller.

I used to bring out a dip net and collect floating sargassum at the lowest levels and I caught all sorts of hella cool shrimp, crabs, sargassum fish, and seahorses/pipefish mixed into it. I could easily get it on a helicopter with no one the wiser, but I'm crafty like that... no one expects a masterful invert ninja offshore!
                          Lol you should totally get a lil buiness going. I've been wanting some sargassum, horses and pipes. Couldn't imagin the inverts you catch :P

Comment

Originally posted by Bedlamer View Post
                            That was a great link. Man, $3277 for the entry level full display tank and $29,390 for the top of the line one. OK, OP you get cracking on the paper route, I'll go buy some more lottery tickets--lol.

They, do have a smaller less elegant jelly suitable tank for $542 http://www.jelliquarium.com/ProductD...productID=3837

In their husbandry info they are saying the moon jelly is a cold water species and requires 55 F water, therefore a chiller is needed.

How is your moon jelly doing? Did you keep it or pass it along to someone else?
                            I was looking at the mangrove jelly set up. That I might actually get. Not a bad price either

Comment

I see them occasionally offered for free from folks catching stuff in Galveston, its very easy and I recommend it for a fun day at the beach...
                              Desiderius Erasmus
                              GHAC President

Comment

Working...
                              X