Pump Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump Noise

I've been setting up my new tank and the return pump I got seems to making a bit of "vibrating" noise. I've tried sitting it on a pad and lifting it up off the bottom, but it still persists.
    The pump in question is a Rio 8HF. Should I just ditch it for a Mag Drive, Eheim, or Tunze?
    TIA

I like mag drive myself but your pump may need to be cleaned that might help

Comment

Thanks Johnny, but the pump is new. I don't think cleaning will help.

Comment

If its new it might just need to break in then

Comment

I've never ran the Rio 8HF before. It shouldn't make to much noise.

Do you have a ball or gate valve on it?

It makds noise even when you hold it up and the pump is not touching the sump?

I'm running a 1250 on my reef and that mug is silent. I have a filter bag as padding.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I've got it hooked up on a ball vavle, and yes, makes noise even when not touching anything.

Comment

How closed off is the ball valve?

My mag 7 makes noise if the valve is closed off more then 20-25%.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I noticed that it did get louder when it was more closed. Currently it at about 90% open.

Comment

100% silicone grease is what i use... or i had kick start it with a lil of the amquel conditioner (any water conditioner that is slimy)... pour a little on the magnet
                  20L nano saltwater tank- (In Progress)

55G tropheus tank- 22 T. ikola,23 T. red chimba, 4 brevis, 3 b.pleco, 1 dwarf giraffe cat
                  NO SUCH THING AS OVER FILTRATION... =DD

Comment

Well....I don't know what happened, but it's a lot quieter now. I had shut it off last night (tank is in the bedroom) and when I started it back up this morning there was just a slight hum of the motor. I can live with the hum, it was the other god awful noise I was having an issue with.

Comment

I have a rio as well. When I first setup my tank I thought I was going to have to replace it since it was so loud. After a week it got much quieter and now (months later) you can't even hear it. Just needs to break in.

Comment

Working...
                      X