biocube 14 to hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• biocube 14 to hot

I have a biocube 14 and my temps are staying at 82-83 stock pump and koralia nano are all that I have running other than the lights what are some ways to bring the heat down without spending a bunch of money

Run a computer fan or small clip on and that'll cool it through evaporation so just make sure you're to top off.

You could run the fans on a rancho temp controller or similar or just keep it on a timer to come on a litte after the lights and stay on till after they go out.

You could open up the vents on the hood and then add a fan blowing across the bulbs too and that will help slightly by drawing/pushing the heat out before it effects the water temp.

A slightly more expensive method is to run a peltor thermal chiller but those aren't as efficient if your ambient temps are high.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If your temps are only getting to 82 or so I wouldnt be to alarmed I kept corals fine in up to 84. The cheapest and easiest is to do like ek said and get a clip on fan and angle it at the water. This will only work if you have an open water surface like a sump that isnt inclosed. You could also get an Ice Probe, they run about $100 but you have to get a HOB to use it unless you want to drill your tank.
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Be aware that you'll get a LOT more evap running a fan so keep an eye on your levels.

Comment

Originally posted by TiAg View Post
          Be aware that you'll get a LOT more evap running a fan so keep an eye on your levels.
          True. I should say that if you use the fan method make sure you have an ATO
          Resident fish bum
          330G FOWLR
          34G Reef
          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Well a bigger fan will only work if I can retrofit it into the stock hood some how I may move it from the corner to under my ac in the bedroom and see if that might help it. I really didn't expect heat like this from a stock biocube especially with just cf lighting

Comment

You could replace the fans with a higher cfm fan and run a stronger power supply.

The cf lighting gets hot.
              I ran 4x cf for a whilw on my NC12 and it was ok with upgraded fans. When I swapped over to 2x70wMH it was a diffrent story
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Does this tank not have a sump area in the back of the tank?
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Ya it has the Sump area in the back standard basic biocube I'm gonna put the media basket I got in the 2nd comparment as soon as I rig up an led fuge light for the cheato

Comment

May try upgrading to 60mm fans

Comment

Working...
                    X