Carbon Snake before RO/DI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Snake before RO/DI

Is it a wise idea to plumb a carbon snake in front of a RODI? The reason I ask is because does the RODI need a certain amount of water pressure for it to work, because the carbon snake will reduce the pressure coming out by alot.

What are your thoughts

Not sure how your water pressure is but yes, running the carbon filter before the RO/DI would greatly increase the efficiency and life of your RO/DI
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If your hooking up to the water hose outside you'll be fine. Low pressure pumps is for those hooking up inside the house on weak water lines.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It is on the outside,but my question is would it still work?? Running throught the carbon snake greatly reduces the pressure of the water going out of it. If it goes to the RO unit with low pressure, will it make any ro water at all or will it dump it all to the "grey" water??

Comment

What is the pressure coming out of the carbon snake?

From what I read, RO/ DI system needs input water to be in the range of 60-80 psi to work properly.
          It also has a sediment filter and 1 or 2 carbon filter in front of the RO membrane already. What does a carbon snake do that they don't?

Comment

It will work, run it through the carbon snake at a higher rate, I did it with my carbon bottle and it worked fine.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by rage View Post

From what I read, RO/ DI system needs input water to be in the range of 60-80 psi to work properly.
              It also has a sediment filter and 1 or 2 carbon filter in front of the RO membrane already. What does a carbon snake do that they don't?
              basically the first stage of a RO/DI but x10-100 depending on size of carbon bottle.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Might be a dumb question , what if the carbon snake is put in after the ro-di ?
                Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by HERM View Post
                  Might be a dumb question , what if the carbon snake is put in after the ro-di ?
                  It would be a waste and you would be counter productive since Carbon holds waste particles and would leach back into the clean RO/DI.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

By the time your RO/DI is done with it it shouldnt have anything left for the carbon to remove so you are wasting time.
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                      basically the first stage of a RO/DI but x10-100 depending on size of carbon bottle.
                      What kind of carbon snake are you talking about?
                      x10 or x100 better than the 1st stage of a RO/DI? Which stage is that? An RO/ DI could have 3 stages before the RO membrane.

Comment

carbon bottle/snake in comparison to the carbon stage of the RO/DI.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Don't know what the psi comming out of the carbon snake is..

basically , it is filtering the bad stuff out of the water before it gets to the rodi so it doesn't have to work so hard , which in turn makes the membranes last longer..

Comment

Its basically a 2 inch pvp tube that has pelletized cabon in it. In my case, its a spa flex pvc, probably about 15 - 20 feet long that John (Fishfrk) made for me a few years back.

What kind of carbon snake are you talking about?
                            x10 or x100 better than the 1st stage of a RO/DI? Which stage is that? An RO/ DI could have 3 stages before the RO membrane.

Comment

If you found that it reduced your pressure too much, you could consider adding a booster pump to get your water pressure back up to a good working range for the RO/DI. These guys have several listed on their website... http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...di-accessories

In theory the carbon snake pre-stage sounds like a good cheap way of prolonging the live of your more expensive media/filters/membranes further down the line.
                              While I'm not reef ready, I am salt ernate lifestyle curious...

Comment

Working...
                              X