A true misnomer, the only freshwater sea snake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A true misnomer, the only freshwater sea snake

Hydrphis Semperi, the Phillipines freshwater sea snake or Garmen's seasnake is a true oddity in our animal kingdom and quite recent. Found in Lake Taal in the Phillipines it is very recent compared to many other species. The lake itself was marine until the 16th century when it was closed to the sea by an eruption and has slowly become acidified and completely fresh water. There is one other species of sea snake that is brackish, but this is our only true freshwater variant. The lake itself contains a bizarre assortment of different marine fish that adapted to a freshwater enviroment when they became trapped. Reading over what little there is about this species online has been interesting and truly a monument to a creatures ability to evolve and survive against quite surmountable odds. I find a creature that naturally evolved within 500 years to be quite a testament to their adaptability. I might have to talk with the herpotologists up at the zoo and see about seeing some of these. Here are some pics I found over the web and hope you enjoy...

931401.jpg

hsemperi.jpg
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

I want one!!! How big are they?
    210 gallon ~ S/A, C/A build; jaguar, dovii, flowerhorn, gold doviI, 2 red devils, pacu, shovel nose cat
    125 gallon long ~ African cichlids
    10 gallon ~ ghost shrimp breeding (fish treats) haha

Comment

50 cm to 70 cm in length, 15-30 inches.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
        50 cm to 70 cm in length, 15-30 inches.
        That's not bad I could put him in a 210 and he'd be satisfied...do they have Any info on obtaining them or taking care of them?
        210 gallon ~ S/A, C/A build; jaguar, dovii, flowerhorn, gold doviI, 2 red devils, pacu, shovel nose cat
        125 gallon long ~ African cichlids
        10 gallon ~ ghost shrimp breeding (fish treats) haha

Comment

They are listed as threatened and as far as I am aware are not imported for any reason. I'm assuming you would have to garner a license from the Phillipines to even collect them. On the upside, if they are true sea snakes they are livebearers. They are from a nearby Island to the Sulawesi region. Not sure if the increased demand for fish might have also sparked some interest in these oddballs. I have a feeling they are just unknown to most folk.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

Working...
          X