How is this even possible??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is this even possible??!!

Ok so SEVEN days ago I set up my saltwater tank, I have had fresh water tanks for over 30 years so I know about ammonia and nitrates and tank cycles... Two weeks ago I decided to turn the 55 gallon into a saltwater tank, took the tank down and gave it a very good cleaning,, then let it set and dry as i shopped around for sand that i wanted, I ended up getting sand from petco, 80 pounds NEW SAND, with NO live sand. I did shop around for established live rock and settled on 20 pounds from FJW and I bought another 75 pounds form someone with an established tank that had been up for years. Now last Tuesday I had it all set up live rock in and all and beings I wanted no corals I have a 30 gallon wetdry running. I was sure by next month sometime i would be able to start fish shopping.

The guy I bought the rock from was tearing down his tank to convert to fresh water and he had 2 very small fish, one was a Green Chromis, and the other was a little damsel and there was 6 hermets in the tank. Now the guys said "if you want these fish then take them, cause if not,, uhhhh i think ill have to run them to the pet store or something" now the tank they was in was horribal and you could tell had bee neglected for months. so I knew soon as i gave him the cash for the live rock the fish would prolly be flying out the backdoor within minutes. So even though I knew my tank wasnt ready I tried to atleast do all i could to give the fish a chance.

Now here is the kicker.. that was SEVEN days ago, and my water readings are ammonia ZERO, nitrates ZERO, nitrites ZERO.. now I have done 3 10 percent water changes every 2 days since setting it up.. but no way should i be getting zero readings across the board,, THERE HAVE BEEN FISH IN THERE FOR A WEEK!.. something should be showing. SOMETHING. .. heck I even thought maybe my test kit got old so I bought a new one,, SAME READINGS!.. someone please explain how this is happening.
    http://www.thegettogether.net/ My normal hangout!

The rock may have helped.

Comment

+1 if the rock was from established tanks then you will already have the bacteria ready for the bio-load. I would give it another week or two just to be sure before slowly adding in new fish.
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by flipside View Post
        The rock may have helped.
        Ya that live rock may have helped but I would say go slow adding stuff so nothing bad happens

Comment

yeah I went with established rock to speed up the process on purpose, but I would think I would see SOME numbers after a week,, atleast some, SOMEWHERE.. just seems odd to me is all

Comment

Absolutely be cautious, but that sounds frikkin awesome!
            All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
              +1 if the rock was from established tanks then you will already have the bacteria ready for the bio-load. I would give it another week or two just to be sure before slowly adding in new fish.
              +1, the rock is ready for the couple fish you have in the tank.
              Vincent Churton :emt_thumbs:

Comment

I dont know salt, but i would think that you would see some nitrates even if the live rock is doing its job on such a small bioload? Are you running carbon too?
                Last edited by Totenkampf; 04-03-2012, 05:23 PM.
                75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Nitrate

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
                  I dont know salt, but i would think that you would see some nitrates even if the live rock is doing its job oin such a small bioload? Are you running carbon too?
                  I agree, I would test for at least nitrate again with a different test kit.
                  The bacterias in live rocks only remove ammonia and nitrite and leave behind nitrate.

In an established salt tank, nitrate maybe 0 but that is only if the tank has something that remove nitrate. ie, macro algae, mangroves, deep sand bed ...

Comment

I used all live wet rock and sand when I did my tank and it cycled really quick. I would be careful for the next couple weeks and keep an eye on it before putting anything expensive in there, and the fish will help the cycle too.

Comment

Well at noon I ran up to FJW, bought a Niger and a baby clown. Just did another water check..... ALL ZEROS!.. with 2 test kits!

Comment

what i dont get is there is no carbon or anything in the setup,, where are the nitrates?.. mind you the tank has had 2 fish and 6 hermits for a week,, should be some nitrates.

Comment

From my understanding (and I am really a FW enthusiast) most of the biological activity occurs in Live rock, thus why most SW HOB/canisters suggest replacing all the media with LR rubble. My guess would be that your LR is large enough (enough bacteria/surface area) to handle your small bioload and that should you ever see any numbers, it would be due to introducing extra bioload, and a small spike until your bacteria are able to colonize a larger area to handle the larger volume. I myself am surprised, but had never put 2 and 2 together about the smaller pico's only using LR as a filter, but it made better sense once I began thinking it through with your situation. Most of the HOB's for the small pico's are for mechanical filtration and little else.
                          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Gether View Post
                            Well at noon I ran up to FJW, bought a Niger and a baby clown. Just did another water check..... ALL ZEROS!.. with 2 test kits!
                            What kind of test kits do you use?

Should have taken some of your water and ask them to test it for you.

Comment

i have an api master kit and a tetra kit,, there is no way that the kits can be testing bad, not 2 different kits the test have to be correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X