New Zoom Lens for the Canon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zoom Lens for the Canon

I'm thinking about getting a new zoom lens for my Canon 50d. Something I can walk around with - will mostly be used to take pictures of my kids and family... and possibly my fishes. Needs to be good in low light as well. I was thinking about the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM.

I already have the Canon EF 70-24mm f/2.8L USM, but it's too heavy to walk around with.

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?
    300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

The lens you suggested is what I'd go with if I were you. That's the next lens I will be picking up myself.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

That is the best lens to have if you don't mind lugging it! One out of 3 lens I would carry in my bag.
      ADA 90H Large Cube Garden - Under Construction (waiting for ADG to have Aqua Soil)
      Crypt Nurrii, Blyxa Jap, Blyxa Aubertii, HC, Micro Sword, HM, Hydro Verticillata, Telanthera, Hydro Sibthoripiodies, more to come.

26G High - Baller Ebi Tank - CRS and Otto Cat
      HM, Hydro Verticillata, Limnobium Spongia (Frogbit), Azolla, Pistia Stratiotes (Water Lettuce)

5G - Emmerse Tank -
      HC, HM, Hydro Sibthoripiodies,

Comment

did you mean the 24-70? if you did the 70- 200 weighs more

Comment

Originally posted by photogdude View Post
          did you mean the 24-70? if you did the 70- 200 weighs more
          yea, meant 24-70.

I just want something I can walk around with. My L lens is too heavy for that. After some research, I'm also thinking about the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
          300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

Originally posted by tbui1178 View Post
            yea, meant 24-70.

I just want something I can walk around with. My L lens is too heavy for that. After some research, I'm also thinking about the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
            IMO the 15-85 isn't enough. Used one for a day and it just couldn't do everything I wanted.
            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

yea, meant 24-70.

if its the weight your worried about then the 15-85 will work, although it won't be good in low light. your going to need to figure out what is more important, weight or low light.

Comment

yea, meant 24-70.

If you're going to sacrifice speed (2.8 down to 3.5), then I would suggest 24-105mm F/4.0L IS (the IS should easily compensate for the 3 F stops). It is slightly lighter than the 24-70mm. And a better walk-about lens with the extra focal length (105mm vs. 70mm). I have own both and prefer the 24-105mm. Here is something not too many folks are aware of. With the 24-70mm, when you use the pop-up flash and zoom at 24mm, you'll notice the shadow of the lens in your photos. This is because the lens when zoom wide, the lens extends rather than retracts, thus casting a shadow in your photos. Canon fixes this with the latest 24-70mm Mk2: wide angle means the lens retracts and Telephoto angle means the lens extends.

Moreover, the 24-105mm is an EF-mount lens, whereas 15-85 is an EF-S mount lens. You wouldn't be able to use the latter if you decide to upgrade to a full frame body. 50D is a great camera (any canon D-SLR is), but many folks eventually upgrade to full frame.

Good luck on your decision.

Comment

If your zoom don't have 2.8f it sucks.
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

the 24-70mm weights 950grams, the 70-200mm weighs around 1500 grams. So if you're looking for something lighter then the 70-200 isn't it.

P.s. its a white lens that says "rob me" all over it

I dunno about you but I got the Canon 24-105mm f4 L and its pretty damn awesome. Weighs around 700grams and is pretty sharp.

Last edited by soymilk; 03-26-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I think the f4 is good if you are mainly taking outdoor pictures, but I do take more indoor pictures and am afraid I won't have enough indoor lighting for that lens. How should I compensate for that without bumping the ISO up to a crazy number.

Comment

well, i would prob get a good prime lens then. The best zoom lens are only f2.8, and the difference between f2.8 and f4.0 is just one fstop. If you want faster speed to get dark indoor shots of people, then the only choice is a prime lens. The difference between f1.4 and f4. is 3 stops.

1, 1.4 , 2 , 2.8 , 4 , 5.6 yadda yadda yadda

Look at the Canon 35mm f1.4L or cheaper 35mm f2.0
                        Canon 50mm f1.4 or 50mm f1.8
                        Sigma 30mm f1.4 if you're gonna stay with ef-s

But if you're adamant about using zoom lenses indoors, then I would just use the flash. Bounce it up straight at the ceiling and use the 18-135 kit lens or whatever since lens speed doesn't matter anymore.
                        Last edited by soymilk; 03-26-2012, 12:27 PM.

Comment

+1! Just get a prime and crop down to get a closer shot.

Bokeh on 1.4f is clean!
                          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I'll have to look into a prime lense. I have a 50mm already, but never really use it.

Comment

Lol, nga here.

Yeah foo, prime lens are going to be super fast compared to zoom lenses at the same price.

Which 50 do you have? 1.8 or 1.4?

I've used both the Nikon 50/1.8 and Jim's 50/1.4.

1.4f was super creamy on the background shots. Gave it a nice DOF.
                              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                              X