Native plant I.D.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native plant I.D.

Collected this the other day and it was floating nicely in the creek, the leaves are shaped and spread very similar to frogbit but it had a stem stalk with roots coming off the base. The leaves stayed above water though and now after sitting in the bucket overnight the leaves have once again upright itself to be on the water surface.

700g Mini-Monster tank

that is Ludwigia peploides.....in the spring this is how the new parts look like...in the summer the leaves get longer and produce little yellow flowers...I have some in my pond...it gets massive....it runs right across my pool.............
    HALA MADRID!!!!

Comment

Word. It basically only grows at the surface. Makes a bee line for the surface when submerged. I think others have tried it in high tech tanks, and it still does the same thing.

Comment

Guess using it as a nitrate sponge is the plan now.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks for chiming in, I actually prefer it the way it is, Love the way it grows on the water surface and out. Might go looking for more of this stuff.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

At the surface it gets a really lovely red color even under modest lighting... Just wait a little while and it will be everywhere, it's probably the most common Ludwiga sp. in town.

Comment

Working...
            X