Introducing Suki, my new Fahaka baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing Suki, my new Fahaka baby

We finally brought one home today, after months of research... and tank-tweaking... and she is the cutest thing, I am so in love already!

So this is what I'm running for her right now- a 45g "deep" (something like 29"x16"x18") with an Eheim 2215 and Aquaclear powerhead w/sponge pre-filter. I'm a bit worried this may not be enough, I'm going to watch it, be careful about testing and W/C's and possibly add some more if needed.
    Brand new Eheim heater.
    2 20 watt T8 bulbs...probably not going to be a plant-tastic tank, but I don't think she'll mind the mood lighting!
    In the tank, I've got some PFS, driftwood, a bit of rock and a couple plants- Anubius "nana" and cyptocorne wentii "bronze"...and a bit of xmas and java moss here and there.
    And some oddballs that refuse to move: Despite major W/C's, replacing the substrate and nearly everything else in there, there are still a few red cherry shrimp hiding out. There are also a couple black-striped killiefish in there, they have been our cycle-helpers since August and just never found a home in another tank. ) So far so good!

Here's Suki! She's about 6" already, looks like I'll be moving to a 120g sooner than I thought...!
    394168_3298522387912_1413472201_3352949_124627844_n.jpg
    She's doing great today! I expected more sulking, but she picked a back corner where she could watch us watching her, and even took a nibble off a mystery snail. Her coloring is still a bit off, she's definitely got her stress-colors on! Poor baby. Hopefully she'll settle in soon.

I'll post better pics in a day or two when I get some!
    "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Looking good!

Have long has it been in this tank again? also is there anything in the tank that is leaching or params off? With it being scaleless it could be effected more so by these things than normal fish.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks! I bought her today, she's been in the tank since about 2pm. The color of the tank is probably tannins, I ordered some Puragen and it's due any day. Is it that obvious?! Also, it's a cell phone pic! hahah.
      "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

well the lighting kinda helps mask it some but yeah after seeing a lot of tanks and pictures you can kinda see it. dim out the box fluorescent lighting with tannins leaching LoL.

Looking pretty good so far! Get some more pics of the fella once it settles in and starts terrorizing the tank
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Will do! She's actually settling in much better than I thought, I'm so happy...coloring is much better and as soon as I turned off the light, she was out and cruising, finished off the snail.

More pics soon, for sure!

Comment

Finally got a good FTS...and Suki is hiding behind the wood, of course.
            395927_10151320898660515_642140514_23183970_1874937002_n.jpg

Comment

Layout looks awesome!
              http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
                Layout looks awesome!
                Thanks, Sunny! Though I'm open to suggestions as well, I'm not the best 'scaper. I can't wait for the plants to come in, I think that'll help soften it a lot.

...if Suki decides to leave them alone, that is!

Comment

It's lookin good! Really nice setup. :)
                  All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Thanks, Aquabee!

Comment

There she is...
                      417388_3370623870404_1413472201_3379661_1302646392_n.jpg

And begging this morning...
                      422588_3370868076509_1413472201_3379745_601005384_n.jpg

How can I resist this face??
                      423423_3370861956356_1413472201_3379744_558553988_n.jpg

At least I got her to take something other than shrimp, crab (also not her favorite, but she'll peck at it), or snails....she took some bloodworms this morning! I'm a proud momma.

kay, I'll stop with the pictures now!! :)

Comment

She is cute! Love those puffer faces. :)
                        All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Oh, I know...I am a hopeless sucker for da puffs. And I ended up with another one, a pea puffer in the planted fluval ebi I bought from digitallinh last night- my heart is getting slayed all over again! Sigh. So friggin cute.

Comment

Hello Suki!

Comment

I've added an Eheim ProII 2026, more plants, changed out the bulb to a 5000k 'natural light' and got rid of the killifish. I still see a cherry shrimp every once in awhile, though! Funny, they always find a way to survive- cockroaches of aquaria, I tell you. I got some good pics this morning, so, here's moar Suki!

Pretty girl. Her coloring is LOTS better. Eyes have cleared up quite a bit.

430001_3428053626112_997243668_n.jpg

I was pretty worried about her skin when she first got here...here you can see her blotchy patches and how she has a sort of pink flesh-tone where her stripes are. I chalked it up to bad conditions, hoping it would improve with nice clean water and good food with vitamins- and it IS improving, so I'm doing something right. Not as fast as I'd like, though. Anyone have experience with this? Maybe ammonia burn or something funny with their skin? Or is this normal and I've just never seen it?
                              430001_3428053746115_1413472201_3405818_1724796917_n.jpg

Fat just-been-fed tummy. Her yellow is brightening here also, and the skin on her tummy is nice and creamy and normal.
                              430001_3428053666113_1413472201_3405817_269716260_n.jpg

This one's blurry, but the look on her face makes it worth throwing up here, too....O, hai! Time for foods?
                              430001_3428053786116_1413472201_3405819_1015752998_n.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X