problem with city pets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with city pets

so a couple weeks ago i went to city pets to pick up 2 bulkheads. i got one threadxthread one slipxthread. put both of them on the sump one having a cap on it, the other my protein skimmer was screwed into. i noticed right away it was leaking. wasnt leaking at the sump connection, was leaking on the INSIDE of the bulkhead. thought that was odd so i took it all apart, put new teflon tape and screwed it all back together. STILL leaking. so i went and bought a new cap and new part for my protein skimmer. still leaking.......so i bought some pipe goo stuff that is supposed to work better than teflon tape but not make a permanent seal. still leaked...after all that i figured it had to be the bulkheads so i ordered 2 new ones from BRS. magically not leaking anymore with the same fittings i had in the old ones the first time. i dont know where these bulkheads from city pets are made, but apparently the interior diameter is off by a significant enough amount to leak through teflon tape and this fitting sealant stuff. so i figured that was a quick burn of 16 bucks plus tax, but the issue was fixed so i let it go. then 3 days ago i went to city pets and bought 2 peppermint shrimp and some snails. half way home my husband noticed both shrimp were belly up... am i the only one getting these kinds of problems at city pets?

I've never had a problem with them. Might be a fluke
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Never had a problem with livestock or bulkheads there.

If you turned around with the shrimps in the bag, Donnie would have given you new live stock.

City Pets is good people.
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
        ^ +1. I always get good service there.
        30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

+1... never an issue. I went to buy something once and forgot my wallet. They just told me to pay them later.
          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Moved thread to City Pets forum
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless View Post
              +1... never an issue. I went to buy something once and forgot my wallet. They just told me to pay them later.
              Had the same happen to me! Well actually I had my wallet but not enough money for the impulse that occured and was offered the same.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

+1 city pets is a great place.
                Customer service is always awesome.
                Probably just random occurance.
                FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

i guess i am having a hard time visualizing this, it was leaking at the bulkhead fitting between the two shoulders that actually make contact with the wall of the sump and you put teflon tape on this exterior threaded part? it isnt leaking on the tube connections? perhaps the shaft was smaller than the old one and thus the hole thru the sump wall was now too big? if so, it cant be expected to seal no matter what you do, you need to have the right size fitting...did you take an old one with you? i always do this and i have been building analyzer systems for 20 years..i still dont trust my eyeball lol. teflon tape or thread sealant wont seal this and will likely make it worse because they will create an uneven mating surface. those things are good for tapered pipe threads only. a rubber gasket between the shoulder and the outside sump wall would be the way to do it. if i am way off here than i apologize...i have a migraine and have been typing stupid things all day instead of working. good thing i can work on the weekends to catch up :(
                  75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                  28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                  12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                  29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                  45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                  33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Always friendly, worth the trip.. Don't mind all the questions/ at least make me think they don't mind. Lol
                    "There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing."
                    "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by. "
                    -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

one day, i came too early, and one of donnie's family member(maybe dad?) spotted me sitting in the parking lot, so he invited me in 20 minutes before store open. one of my 5 hermit die on the way home, i came back and donnie gave me a new one. they haven't stay in business for so long if they didn't do it right.

Comment

City pets is great, never had a problem.
                        20g mixed reef

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                          Never had a problem with livestock or bulkheads there.

If you turned around with the shrimps in the bag, Donnie would have given you new live stock.

they were closing as i was heading out the door or i sure would have.

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
                            i guess i am having a hard time visualizing this, it was leaking at the bulkhead fitting between the two shoulders that actually make contact with the wall of the sump and you put teflon tape on this exterior threaded part? it isnt leaking on the tube connections? perhaps the shaft was smaller than the old one and thus the hole thru the sump wall was now too big? if so, it cant be expected to seal no matter what you do, you need to have the right size fitting...did you take an old one with you? i always do this and i have been building analyzer systems for 20 years..i still dont trust my eyeball lol. teflon tape or thread sealant wont seal this and will likely make it worse because they will create an uneven mating surface. those things are good for tapered pipe threads only. a rubber gasket between the shoulder and the outside sump wall would be the way to do it. if i am way off here than i apologize...i have a migraine and have been typing stupid things all day instead of working. good thing i can work on the weekends to catch up :(
                            no, it was not leaking on the sump wall connection, but on the interior of the bulkhead where the cap screws into one, and the protein skimmer screws into the other. i did bring my old bulkhead in with me, gave it to the guy, and he found me replacements.

Comment

Usually we don't have a gurantee on our livestock, but I do try my best to make the customer happy. Just come back and I will replace them for you. If you bought them at night, just call the next day and ask for me. As for closing time, we close exactly at eight and keep the doors shut because the area is not the safest and we have gotten robbed before. As for the bulkheads, honestly, if you turn them to hard, they will leak. Hand twist them, use no tools or you will kink the o-ring. They do make more expensive bulkheads that you can turn with tools, but those are pricier. Just come by and bring the old bulkheads back, I will credit you for that and the livestock that died. Thanks.

Donnie

Comment

Working...
                              X