Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livebearer Community Suggestions

Hey Everyone,

I currently have a small group of (4) Mollies in my 4o gallon breeder community tank that I'm considering replacing. The male is driving me crazy constantly chasing the females around without a break!
    Any suggestions out there on another type of livebearer where the males just aren't so persistant?

In addition to my Mollies my tank currently has 2 medium Angels (for population control), 2 longfin Danio's and 6 Kuhli's. Waiting for some dwarf Flag Cichlids to become available to complete my tank as well.
    Last edited by luvmycichlids; 02-07-2012, 10:48 PM. Reason: Please close this thread

Aggression among the livebearers is usually due to too small a group. I'd do at least 6 females to each male, or keep 8 females and 2 males... something like that. This general trend applies to platies, guppies, and endlers, most livebearers. Try to add a few more females and see if that helps him relax a little. :) On the flip side, if the females are healthy and eating and don't have any torn fins, chances are they're not too bothered by him, but I understand that it can be irritating to watch.
    All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

I concur with Aquabee, smaller groups seem to amplify aggression amongst livebearers. It should not take long to double or triple your current quantity with breeding mollies. Try adding more plants, especially floating types to help diffuse the aggresion and provide hiding and cover for more fry to hide and grow.

As to other options, it is really a broad choice. You could try some Endler's as they are cheap and very prolific. With a nice lineage it can be worth breeding them, especially if you are weeding out and breeding for a specific trait. As to other choices, there is a variety of differing options. You could try your hand at some of the Goodeids or another wild type that is endangered or exctint in the wild. They can be more aggressive, but the offspring are much more rare and sought after for the rarer species. There is also the option of choosing something local, be it our native mollies or even dwarf livebearers. I know another highly sought after livebearer are halfbeaks and even on this board you would have a constant demand for any extras.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Working...
      X