New Tankmate for South American Aquarium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tankmate for South American Aquarium

Well I just put in a new tankmate, an African Lace Synodontis... anyone know anything about them???
    I've done some research,but not much.
    I always introduce new fish with the lights off, supposed to make all calm... but i'm hearing strange sounds like a hard tap every now and then.... guess he's introducing his spikes to the ones that like to pick on other fish

When they swim fast (like there getting chased they'll bump into the tank. And its literally like metal hitting it. They'll cut your net so be careful
    210 gallon ~ S/A, C/A build; jaguar, dovii, flowerhorn, gold doviI, 2 red devils, pacu, shovel nose cat
    125 gallon long ~ African cichlids
    10 gallon ~ ghost shrimp breeding (fish treats) haha

Comment

Lace cats, at least at one time, could be a few similar, different species. The ones I'm most familiar with get to about 6-7 inches, and are West African in origin. I didn't find them to be tremendously boisterous, but I wouldn't put it past them to consume fry and possibly small inverts, and they are usually tough enough not to be bullied. I have heard Synodontis in my tanks make some noise, but it wasn't a clinking noise. If I had to describe it, I would say it sounded more like some kind of insect, lasted a few seconds, and was predominantly in the evening or at night.

Give the fish a nice, dark comfortable place to hang out in the day (I've found that they really like overhangs, and will sometimes invert like the upside-down catfish, S. nigriventris). They're usually hardy, and easy to keep. Just make sure they have enough space.
      Tell your boss you need to go home to take care of your "cichlids." It sounds an awful lot like "sick kids." )

Comment

I've heard some syno do this as well as clown loaches.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

that Lace is chaser... been doing all the chasing.. the one chases him is my big O, then the fins stick out and lace then chases big O

Comment

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. They'll defend themselves.
            Tell your boss you need to go home to take care of your "cichlids." It sounds an awful lot like "sick kids." )

Comment

he's not being pestered... he just hauls off and starts chasing

Comment

He should settle down.

Comment

well.. i have researched my cat.. he's is not a lace, he's a featherfin... i think i am going to take him back to the store i got him from and see if they will trade for a pictus... the featherfin is a bully.. it chases all my other fish constantly... well he tries to chase my big O.. but O stands his ground... lol

Comment

Working...
                  X