do i need a skimer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do i need a skimer

I have a 7 gal nano with an ac 50 and I believe argonite sand. I noticed a red layer begun to cover the sand and fought it was just waste that I could syphon after stiring the sand but it appears to like to adhere to the sand and its a bit difficult to remove without syphoning the fine sand. Is it waste or what and should I get a skimmer. I have a few simple corals a blenny, 2 hermits, 2 snails, and a chromis.

Most likely a type of algae.

How often do you do a wc? At what percentage?

How often do you feed? What are you feeding?

Really shouldn't need a Skimmer on thus size tank with the stock you got.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Can't go wrong with one though!
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I do weekly 20% wc. I feed baby brine shimp or nls once daily. I can see where I may over feed when I do baby brine shrimp if I throw a full cube that's why I try to only feed half the cube. I'm thinking of adding a bit of livestock to help with the food but if its a waste issue, will this hurt my zoas or mushrooms.

Comment

What you can do with frozen is defrost and strain the water from the food cause a lot of that contributes to the problem.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I don't have saltwater tanks nor experience with them, but I come across information while reading about freshwater tanks. There are two different types of algae (using term loosely) that you may want to google to see if you have either of these.

Cyanobacteria – while it is often described as blue/green, it can be different colors, including red. It is not a true algae, and typically has a slimy appearance.

Black Brush Algae/Black Beard Algae (BBA) – this is actually a red algae (Rhodophyta) that can be different colors, including red. It is usually more of a black, grey, or dark red than a bright red, but it could be different in a saltwater tank. You may find information by looking up its genus name, audouinella.

If you have either of these, I would recommend that you start working to get rid of it. Cyanobacteria can be harmful while BBA can be very difficult to control so you don't want either to go unchecked in your tank.
            Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
            • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
            • 29g Planted - Journal
            • 29g Planted
            • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

You probably are talking about Red algae whick is common in saltwater tanks. It can be a sign of high Phosphates. Make sure you are using RO/DI and check your water or phosphate levels to start with. There ARE....some chemicals out there but I would advise against them as they are typically just a temp fix and will come back if the root of the problem is not identified
              There is no "normal" life, it's just life so get on with it.

210g Mixed Reef Build
              http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...10 Reef Build/

430g Mixed Reef Build
              https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0507711&type=3

Comment

it appears to be red algae, the water test came out good when i was having regular green algae issues, now i dont have that issue but i do have red algae so i need to get me a reef test kit.

Comment

Yes you absolutely do need a test kit. The best one I have found is the HAGEN Master Test Kit Model A-7860

nutrafin-master-test-kit466.jpg

They are expensive

You may reach out to EK. He has been doing this for a long time and can tell ya what he uses.
                  There is no "normal" life, it's just life so get on with it.

210g Mixed Reef Build
                  http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...10 Reef Build/

430g Mixed Reef Build
                  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0507711&type=3

Comment

Working...
                  X