once upon a time... Copper!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• once upon a time... Copper!

i just picked up some liverock from somebody and they said they used a copper ich med once about three years ago. Can i use this rock in a reef tank? Is there a reliable test for residual copper?
    135 gal Fahaka Puffer
    150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
    185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Originally posted by BeefyG View Post
    i just picked up some liverock from somebody and they said they used a copper ich med once about three years ago. Can i use this rock in a reef tank? Is there a reliable test for residual copper?
    If the rock is not showing any signs of coraline algae growth than I'd say steer clear. Copper is notorious for adhering itself to and inside rocks. If this was a fish only tank, then it wouldn't be as big of an issue, but being that you asked about a reef tank....I think you'd be setting yourself up for failure and lots of lost $$$.

On the other hand it has been 3 years. If he has been doing water changes, then the copper level should have been dropping. They do have means of removing copper. Seachem makes a product called Cuprisorb. It is supposed to remove copper and other heavy metals from your water. You could try introducing the rock and this product at the same time for a few months then measure copper levels and go from there. This method would probably be much cheaper than buying all new rock.
    We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

What size tank is it? The copper in live rock will more than likely subside after 3 years. It gets used up and water changed out. With that said, the API test kit for copper is a PITA at best. I would go with some cuprisorb and let it run for a bit.

Don't use the coraline as a guide, because coraline doesn't always grow. There are a number of factors that lead to a lack of coraline, most revolving around less than perfect care of a tank (nitrates and phospates, low alk, etc). Even in optimal conditions coraline doesn't always grow.
      75 planted (Being Renovated)
      Endlers
      gobies
      lots of nanos

Comment

It was a 75g. He had hermit crabs and snails in there so I'm thinking its ok. He definitely wasn't maintaining it and was shutting down the tank. The rock will be going in a 185 with sump so if there is still copper, it will be diluted further. I'm probably going to give it a bleach bath anyway because its got some funky algae on it.
        135 gal Fahaka Puffer
        150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
        185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

Working...
        X