What do you feed your Discus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you feed your Discus?

I am thinking about trying my hands with Discus. I've ben raissing Angels fo for a long time. I've had one live 11 years. I have had some disasters along the way. I think everyone does but I have had some success too. So now I think its time for me to grow with the hobbie I love so much.
    I am going to buy a few 2 inch. Discus and try to raise them to full grown. So what is the best food to feed juv.'s? the forums have some great info. but i couldn't find this info. I see beef heart on all the adds. for Discus. is that the best thing to feed them? I could look this up on the web but why? I'm sure there will be a few of you give the best opinions....
    Last edited by troy tucker; 11-15-2011, 02:38 PM.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

I feed beefheart once every 2 -3 days until adult sizes then I use just nls colorbits and blood worms

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
    Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

I feed em Tetrabits, homemade beef heart mix, blood worms, flake and a NLS ciclid pellet that they ignore. If its red in color they will try it. If its not red, then I expect I will be vacuuming it up sooner or later.

Buy the discus bigger in size if you can and they will be a little easier to care for.

I feed my fish 2 to 3 times a day, and give them big serving in the am, and two small portions in the evening. There are plenty of other fish in my display to clean up left overs. The 2 inchers may need a different feeding schedule and cleaning routine and possibly a bare bottom to help with cleaning and make the food easier for the fish to find and make the excesd.food easier to siphon and the turds easier to see. Just my 2 cents.

I hope others comment on this thread to help you out. Good luck.

Comment

I am going to us a clean 75gl. it will make it easy to keep clean and water changes easy too...I like the challenge of starting them small. it takes longer to get the adult beatiful fish but you become attached to them...

Comment

The majority of the time I use a seafood mixture that I make at home from your basic supermarket offerings. I loosely followed this recipe: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...n-mix-pictures

With the seafood mix, I also provide pure beefheart (exclusively on water change days), freeze-dried blackworm cubes, and the occasional frozen bloodworm snack.
          -Luke

Comment

Since the ground has been wet I have found a bunch of really small earthworms. The Discus love them. I have just rinsed and fed them to the fish whole. I have had trouble feeding the larger worms before. But small worms are fought over.

Comment

I fed my discus a variety of foods. I used a beefheart/shrimp/veggie mix similar to the one CajunAg linked. I also fed live blackworms, frozen blood worms, color bits and finely chopped beefheart. For 2" juvies I'd add frozen brine shrimp to the mix. The beefheart mix really puts weight on the fish fast. For 2" juvies I'd feed at least 4 to 5 times a day.

Mark
              What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Hi, The short version from me is that I've been raising Discus a while now ( 52 years come July). I've extensively tried most all regimen's in feeding, from beefheart (@15yrs), live blackworms (on & off for another 15yrs.), and asst'd oddball stuff..I now feed a varied diet of freeze dried, frozen, live terrestrials, and mostly dry (flakes, pellets, sticks)..There are pro's and con's to everything. Meat and seafood mixes, and live blackworms put the bulk on them the fastest, but also come with heavier maintenance for success.Should you decide to go down the Discus road, feel free to PM or email with any questions...Stable, clean water, and a good diet, with a bit of patience, will go a long way with these fish...Gary
                The meek shall inherit the earth; the oceans are for the brave....

Comment

When I kept discus I fed them Tetra color bits, mysis, and blood worms.
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                  28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

The kids are still between 12 & 18 months, they all lay eggs in a community tank, just no hatching. They get beef, flake, pellet And some frozen bloodworms. Just wondering how he was getting wigglers in a community tank

Comment

when I kept them... bloodworms, beefheart, NLS Thera+A, Brine shrimp.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

we feed Tetra color bits, and some bloodworms every so often
                        Vincent Churton :emt_thumbs:

Comment

TURQ, welcome to the Box. is that South Dakoda? Loved your fish room and the Discus...

Vincent, I need to come take a look at Houston Aquarium Warehouse...

Thanks for posting...

Comment

Working...
                          X