What equipment would you use? 29g reef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What equipment would you use? 29g reef

I'm going to clean out my 29g, (30" wide) freshwater tank and start another reef tank.

I am interested in the experience of those more experienced.

What would your equipment list look like?

The tank rests on an oak topped file cabinet, so there is no "under" for a sump.

Here is my initial outline.

Led lights. tank measures 12.5" front to back, 18.5" deep, x 30" wide.

HOB refugium with skimmer, and live rock will provide filteration.

What ideas can you share?

Which light setup? Which HOB fuge/skimmer?
    Anything else?
    Kevin
    Last edited by fish daddy; 10-30-2011, 03:41 PM.
    39g Crypt/ anubias, wild shrimp and minnows.

55g Reef- first salt in many many years, coming along. Looking great, and stable. Garden mix of soft/lps corals. DIY refugeum

20g Reef- different than the first by design.

What kind of corals are you wanting to have in the tank? SPS, LPS?

If you want to be able to put just about anything in there, you are going to spend a pretty penny on lighting. Either one nice T5 fixture with 4 bulbs and some lunar LEDs. Or if it's just going to be some softies and polyps you could probably get away with a dual T5 fixture.

Plenty of manufactures make 30" fixtures; everything from single T5 fixtures, to dual T5 fixtures, to quad T5/LED fixtures with built in timers. Difference being $$$. Do you want to spend $100 or $350? Just something to think about.
    Last edited by dhutch; 10-30-2011, 10:32 PM.
    We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

I have a dual t5 on it now. I could look into adding the atenic and violet via DIY LED's. OR I may sell it off and go full blown, all new, LED's.

I'd be looking for capabilities just short of clams. Prob more softies than hard, then it'd be LPS.
      39g Crypt/ anubias, wild shrimp and minnows.

55g Reef- first salt in many many years, coming along. Looking great, and stable. Garden mix of soft/lps corals. DIY refugeum

20g Reef- different than the first by design.

Comment

Or add another dual T5 fixture and call it a day. Put each fixture on its own timer and viola, good to go. Is your current fixture covering your entire tank top or is it thin enough to have two sitting on top?

I was looking into DIY LEDs not too long ago. The cost would run you around $200-250 to DIY, not including the time and labor you'd have to put in. Unless you are going BIG, you are only saving a few bucks and spending several hours getting it all together.

Lighting options are endless unfortunately! These two fixtures may be what you're looking for.

Looks at this LED fixture http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+10704+23687&pcatid=23 687

Or this T5 option http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=21460
        We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

Working...
        X