which tang for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which tang for me?

I have 55g reef with a couple tufts of hair algae. I like the bristle cheek? Tangs, but the family is jonesing for a yellow tang. I want a smaller version than the yellow or hippo.
    Any suggestions?
    39g Crypt/ anubias, wild shrimp and minnows.

55g Reef- first salt in many many years, coming along. Looking great, and stable. Garden mix of soft/lps corals. DIY refugeum

20g Reef- different than the first by design.

Don't think any of them will suit your needs in the 55g.

You could just get kole or lemon tang but they might outgrow the tank and food source of the 55g. Do what I do, just buy really small and sell them as they get bigger or just stunt their growth in the small tank. I know a lot of people will shun me for saying that but then again a lot of people do it and just don't say anything about it.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I'm not gonna lie, I found a tiny hippo tang once and kept it in my 12g....
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yellow should be fine in 55 if he is only tang

Comment

I would say a very tiny tiny tang.... but even tiny tangs will outgrow a 55 gal.

Personally, for your algae, i would go with a mixed variety of algae eating snails (i.e not nassarius) plus a couple of emerald crabs.
          Last edited by nacra99; 10-07-2011, 09:31 PM.
          www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Originally posted by nacra99 View Post
            I would say a very tiny tiny tang.... but even tiny tangs will outgrow a 55 gal.

Personally, for your algae, i would go with a mixed variety of algae eating snails (i.e not nassarius) plus a couple of emerald crabs.
            Emerald crabs rock; they get every last bit of algae!
            Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
              Do what I do, just buy really small and sell them as they get bigger or just stunt their growth in the small tank. I know a lot of people will shun me for saying that but then again a lot of people do it and just don't say anything about it.
              I agree with your above comment. You see tons of Yellow and Hippo tangs in smaller tanks. If you go this route, make sure you buy them SMALL. You can get Hippo tangs about the size of an inch if you look around.
              We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

You know tangs are very active fish that develop liver problems and die from being in small spaces right? Even small ones.

The only tangs I would consider in a 55g are kole and tomini. Just about any of the smaller bristletooth tangs.

Comment

Thing I hate about emerald crabs is they knock crap over all the time. So make sure your corals are secure.
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                  28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                    Thing I hate about emerald crabs is they knock crap over all the time. So make sure your corals are secure.
                    Plus, as they get older/bigger, they start looking for other sources of food. They will eat pellets and lord knows what, when they grow out. I had 4 in my last tank, and had to QT them because they were going after my zoas (which wound-up being extinct).

Comment

Working...
                    X