No announcement yet.

sexing a honey gourami ( pic included )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sexing a honey gourami ( pic included )

just got a little cutie and i cant tell what the sex is...

Males reach 5 cm (2 in) in length, females are slightly smaller at 4 cm (1.5 in). The males of the honey gourami become deep gold in the breeding period with a dark blue underside. Male specimens of this fish, typical of many gouramis, are generally more colourful than their female counterparts. They exhibit bright orange colouring around the throat region, which at breeding time becomes much brighter and is used to court the female. Males also exhibit somewhat of an orange tinge in their fins, with the exception of the caudal fin. The male also has longer fins, with a pointed dorsal fin and extended anal fin rays.[2]
    We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

This variety is harder to sex than the normal wild type. That said, I think yours is a male. The females are pretty brown. I'm actually looking for the regular honey gouramis

Comment

That's likely a male, the colors dull when stressed. When you do find them, females are silver to brown with a lateral black stress bar running the full length of the body and are rounder (like a fish that swallowed a golf ball). Usually the domestic bred varieties are shipped as all males. These are more delicate and peaceful than the dwarf gouramis=colisa lalia (which are evil little boogers). Honey gouramis=trichogaster chuna tend to color up when there is a lot of floating plant cover or subdued lighting.
        Emerald Green Rainbowfish
        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Is it just me or that fish is just plain looking with hardly any color on it.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
            Is it just me or that fish is just plain looking with hardly any color on it.
            Plain is not a good thing to say. Chromaticly challanged would be better.
            Emerald Green Rainbowfish
            Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Stand corrected.

Also isn't that a terrestrial plant in the tank?
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
              X