Need advice on puffers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on puffers!

Howdy yall! Tomorrow, a friend of ours is giving us a tank she's not using anymore. All I know about it is that it's 4 feet long. We are going to use it for my son's puffers that we promised him. Thing is, we don't know what kind of puffers to get! He wants to see them puff up, that much I know. Any advice or suggestions? Anyone have any puffers that they want to part with that would be good tankmates & good pets for my son?
    180g - 2 Red Oscars, 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 JD, Convicts, convicts & more convicts
    75g - 1 Silver Aro, 1 Mean Koi Angel
    50g - Various platy & mollies
    10g - 1 Green Spotted Puffer

You might want to do some reading on puffers in general before you dive in. But I guess that's why you are here, right?

Here is a link to a really good article on all different kinds of puffers and what size tank they need. I'm assuming you are going to do a Freshwater tank?

What kind of puffer can I have?

I don't want to burst any bubbles, but puffers rarely puff up. And when they do, it's usually not a good sign. They are usually scared when that happens, and if they are outside the tank when it happens (like moving from one tank to another or something), they can get air which is much harder for them to expel than water, and can cause damage.

Also, most puffers are extremely aggressive, so tankmates are not going to be a likely option. It just depends on the type you go with. I have South American Puffers that live with other fish, but they need their teeth trimmed a couple times a year.

I could go on for days....I LOVE puffers. But read over that link, and come back with any questions.
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Thank you so much for the link. Our son is 11 so perhaps we can persuade him to go with a different fish. He's gonna have a 75 gallon tank and we'd hate for him to only have 1 fish in it. He has autism so we'd like for him to have a fish that interacts with him (you know, happy to see him & such). Thanks for the information. The teeth trimming blew my mind! I had to read the "How To" LOL

Comment

You're welcome. Puffers really are fun fish, I hate to think I discouraged you. Some people have had good luck with keeping smaller puffers together in a larger tank, but every time I tried I ended up having to separate them. Like the Avocado Puffers. I had 2, kept them together for over a year, then one just all of a sudden REALLY hated the other one and I had to move one out. I also had some pea puffers with South American puffers in a planted tank with some angels and a betta. Those puffers decided that the betta was far too pretty with those long, flowing fins. Had to move the betta out. The angels still get nipped a little, but not bad enough to move them. Fahaka puffers are like having a puppy in a fish tank. But you can't put any other fish in with them unless you are feeding it to them. You need really good filtration for a Fahaka because they are messy eaters.

Good luck! And please, let us know what you decide on!
        Our Fishhouse
        Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I have a young fahaka in a 30L with 2 hob filters and a 2217. Plus I do weekly 75% water changes, I may go over board but my fahaka is healthy and ive never had a parasite problem. These fish are full of personality and are fun to watch eat, but they can be extremely messy.
          20g mixed reef

Comment

Thanks for yall's input! I think they're awesome & I especially like the Congo! After reading all the information, tho, we're thinking a small school of puffers aren't going to be too much fun for him (or for the fish when they start attacking each other). I'm not sure we want to keep just 1 puffer in a 75g. Perhaps I can find him a smaller tank for the puffer and use the 75g for the arowana I want...

(insert evil laugh) *muahahahaha*

After spending more than $900 this weekend getting the new 75g set up, we may have to wait on buying another tank, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ScorpiosWife View Post
              Thanks for yall's input! I think they're awesome & I especially like the Congo! After reading all the information, tho, we're thinking a small school of puffers aren't going to be too much fun for him (or for the fish when they start attacking each other). I'm not sure we want to keep just 1 puffer in a 75g. Perhaps I can find him a smaller tank for the puffer and use the 75g for the arowana I want...

(insert evil laugh) *muahahahaha*

After spending more than $900 this weekend getting the new 75g set up, we may have to wait on buying another tank, lol.
              Don't give up on the puffer idea just yet. Some have the most interactive personalities of FW fish I've seen. Youtube some videos of FW species puffers, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Feeding time is a hoot to watch! The advantage to the puffer in terms of being alone in the 75G tank is he can grow pretty big depending on which species you go with.

Either way you go, I'd suggest taking him to either City Pets or the Fish Gallery and let him look at all the different types of puffers and other FW fish. The staff at both are full of knowledge and they won't steer you in the wrong direction if you have questions. The ultimate cherry on top for this gift would be letting him actually pick the inhabitants out himself! Good luck!
              We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

You're spending too much money, look for used equipment. If he really wants puffers get anything between a 5 gallon to a 20 gallon long and you can keep pea puffers (I love mine) and depending on the puffers they'll do ok with other tank mates like shrimp and real small fish. A green spoted puffer may do ok in a 30 gallon but they require brakish water. On the arrowana (some one correct me if I'm wrong) but I believe it'll quickly outgrow a 75 gallon.

Comment

I don't recommend getting an arowana because my arowana which is in my 180 gallon grew a foot in a year and it is still a juvenile it is about 20 inches long and with a 75 gallon aquarium it will barely be able to turn.

Comment

Never fear, I've scratched my arowana idea. The kid wants GSP's so he's gonna get what he wants! We picked up his tank today & it turns out that it was a 55 g instead of a 75g, which is still awesome for free!!! All we will have to buy is sand or gravel. BTW, which is better for puffers, sand or gravel? It came with a Fluval 305 including 2 boxes of filters, lots of plastic plants, decorations, stand, lights, 2 heaters, & thermometers. I'm thinking of swapping out the Fluval for my API Nexx that I just bought since it cycles 260g an hour and my tank is bigger with dirtier fish. We will see. I'm gonna start cleaning it all up tomorrow, it's been sitting since Ike came through so I've got a job ahead of me!

Comment

Working...
                    X