Sand and panda cory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sand and panda cory

Im sure this has been covered before, I have looked through the forums and researched this online.
    I just want to know if it's okay to have a sand bottom with panda cory cats? I have read that the corys like it, and read also that it can scratch their bellies.
    But, since they eat off the bottom, would they not swallow the sand by accident?
    I did not really like the idea of sand when I heard it talked about before, but now I think I want to give it a go.
    Thanks.
    Kim

Ok just found my answer kinda, use a finer sand. the rougher stuff will hurt their barbels. but still, as far as the eating thing goes? how do they not eat the sand? If they do get alittle..i guess its okay?

Comment

They do best with sand, I've always used Leslie's pool filter sand.
      it's a large enough grain size that it doesn't get sucked. Into your filters, but also still looks as natural as possible.
      It's like $10 for a 50lb. Bag.
      FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

Sand is perfect for them. Some filter it through their gills and I've never seen any of my corys have a problem with it. They're really cute to watch, playing in the sand and scavenging for food. Best behaviors are seen in groups of at least 3, so they don't feel shy.
        All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Thank you, they really are cute, I have 3 panda corys and they are really fast swimmers! they just zoom around.

Comment

Leslie's is perfect (silica sand or play sand is fine as well). . . the sand that you want to steer clear of is builder's sand, aragonite or crushed coral, and any type of sand that has iron slag.
            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Working...
            X