Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cumberland Slider + Fish = Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cumberland Slider + Fish = Good Idea or Bad Idea?

I have what has been IDed to me as a Cumberland slider.

P1011659.jpgP1011667.jpg
    Now he was just shedding his skin and it looks like his chutes are going to shed soon-ish. I am pretty sure he is rather young, being only 1.5"-2" Diameter. Now I've read and been told Sliders + Fish = No. But I bought him some feeder goldfish before I knew they were not good for him and he wouldn't touch them and they were tiny too. Well they grew up and I got rid of all but 1, Billie [after billie piper... Doctor Who ftw! XD] And since I have gotten 2 Japanese Algae eating Shrimp which the turtle will not touch, an Opaline Blue Gourami, a Freshwater "lobster" and a Common Pleco.

Now Donnie eats about 2 Reptomin mini sticks a day, plus a few Hatchling Pellets. I feed him in a Seperate container to Save water conditions in the tank.

Now my Question is, has anyone else had a Cumberland slider before? I've heard they are the same as Red-ears, except they are very slightly smaller when adults. So why hasn't he tried eating all my fish? is this normal for cumberlands are they 'peaceful' turtles?

But, just in case he's getting moved to a Larger tank which he needs anyway with some Texas Cichlids. They are 3-5" each and there's probably around 6 of them. Will he Be ok with them? From what I've read about Texas Cichlids I think they are tough enough to live with a Turtle, but do you think my little Donnie is tough enough to live with him? He seems to prefer munching on Nori and Romaine Lettuce over eating peaces of meat... I think he's a Vegetarian. lol

Anyway thanks for reading! Can't wait to read some of the replies.

Since he's so small, I'm gonna guess he probably will be ok with fish. He hasn't had a chance to learn they are food yet IMO.

As long as you keep him fed he should be ok. If they are anything like red ears though, he will get pretty big.

Comment

Do you think since he's smaller than the smallest TC he'll be ok with them or do you think they may kill him?

Yeah I don't think he knows the fishies are food and the Pleco bullies him occasionally, it's kinda funny. Today the Pleco was riding on the back of his shell and the turtle was flipping out about it lol. And sometimes the Shrimp chill on his back when he's sitting at the bottom of the tank

From what I read the Females get about 12" And the males are slightly smaller, but for some reason I think it's a Lie and they get bigger lol.

Comment

He's pretty tough. So he might be ok with a little bullying. But if they get to rowdy he might get mean. Claws > fins.

Comment

Working...
        X