heat control methods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat control methods?

The doublewide is not as cool as we would like.
    I am sure I'm seeing receding or smaller soft coral in the 55g.

I am thinking of a row of pancake fans along the wall side, just under the lights. I have seen this done with the square bodied fans, and it looks like it belongs. What is a good source for 4-8 pancake fans?

I will soon have a peristaltic pump replacing my evaporated water, so if I have to bump that a little more, no problem.

What is good other than another pump pushing water through 50-100' of tubing in a coral kegorator? This works for the cold water you get from the door of your fridge.

My stand won't hold a sump, and I will hang my DIY fuge this week. I would put a fan over a sump if I had one.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    39g Crypt/ anubias, wild shrimp and minnows.

55g Reef- first salt in many many years, coming along. Looking great, and stable. Garden mix of soft/lps corals. DIY refugeum

20g Reef- different than the first by design.

Are you looking for short term solutions or long term?

Short term

- float frozen water bottles at the top of your tank.

- get a fan and blow it over the top of your tank, you can use a cheapo fan and ghetto rig it up there or buy a premade fan for cooling down reef tanks. You can also get cheap computer fans, but from what I hear they don't last long.

- shortern your light cycle by 2 hours. Some folk only turn on their lights for 4-6 hours during hot seasons.

Long term

- get a chiller

- invest in t5 or something

- replace pumps or find out what's causing the heat

Comment

Any kind of fans you can put on the tank will help. I have four PC fans on my tank and they do a great job cooling it down. They are set to come on once my water temp reaches 81 and they run until it reaches 79. They are just cheap fans from Micro Center, they were about $2.50 each. I added an adapter for about $10 to power them, and it does not look too bad, IMO.

Last edited by trbkrb; 08-17-2011, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Whos controller do you use to control the fans?
        Soymilk, thanks. I'll probably shorten photoperiod, and install install fans somehow.

Darn puppies or possums digging into trailer house air ducts leave the underside of the house cooler than the inside. I'm rich (got a doublewide) but I dont flaunt it by having a slab too. Don't want to be too showy. lol
        39g Crypt/ anubias, wild shrimp and minnows.

55g Reef- first salt in many many years, coming along. Looking great, and stable. Garden mix of soft/lps corals. DIY refugeum

20g Reef- different than the first by design.

Comment

Right now I have a Ranco temperature controller that I picked up for $50. It has both heat & cool outlets so I can make sure my heater does not stick on and cook the tank and that the fans come on when needed. My tank stays right at 79-81. In the future I will probably get a fancier reef controller.

Comment

Working...
          X