Q: How effective are turbo snails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q: How effective are turbo snails?

Ive got a 14 gallon with 5 turbo snails in there and a cleaner shrimp and it doesn't seem to be doing the job. I've heard that they are really effective for cleaning algae. Maybe I need more than 5. Can anyone tell me I need to explore another route for my algae problem?

Chef
    Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

What type of algae are you fighting?
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
      What type of algae are you fighting?
      I honestly couldn't tell you Thai. This is my first SW tank and the rocks sand and the glass are developing growth. It's not crazy yet but I've got the light on like 7 hours
      Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

Are you still cycling the tank? If so, cut the lights off.

What color is the algae?

Does it look like hairs?

If you are getting brown type algae growth then that's normal in new tanks.

It diatom algae and it will go away after a while.

Have you test for phosphates?

Do you use RODI water?

Sorry for all the questions but it will help determine what your problem is.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

The tank is done cycling with a couple soft corals in it with a firefish goby and couple black ocellaris clowns. I haven't purchased any anemones yet. The phosphates and nitrates are low and I'm using RO but no DI. The algae appear to be brown and a little fuzzy
          Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

I cannot identify your algae, but I can share this.
            I am happier with my small Turbin snails, and my other small snails purchased from a Tampa Bay live rock supplier. I think I got mini turbo snails also.

I started with the locally available, large Mexican turbo snails, and they soon proved to be small bulldozers.

Many sites who sell cleaner crews lean towards too many. In a stable tank, many go hungry because their stocking suggestions are just too high. I think you would have to grossly overfeed to grow enough algae to keep that many mouths fed.

I also appreciate the few that will suggest keeping either snails or crabs, but not both.

Two cents worth. What a bargain!
            39g Crypt/ anubias, wild shrimp and minnows.

55g Reef- first salt in many many years, coming along. Looking great, and stable. Garden mix of soft/lps corals. DIY refugeum

20g Reef- different than the first by design.

Comment

turbo snails are effective but every type of snail eats different types of algae. so the key is diversity, dont just buy one type of snail.
              25g - Reef
              3.5g - Surge Tank
              10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

my turbo snails keep flipping themselves over and dying. i have a few small nassarius which seem to be pretty active in cleaning. also have a sea urchin which seems to be doing alright with cleaning. good luck with the tank!

Comment

How big are yours?

My smaller turbos can flip themselves back over.
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

i guess they're kinda big. i've found 3-4 dead ones out of the 5 i've put into the tank. mine never flip back over, i've seen them try but get nowhere. of course, i help them if i see them upside-down

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
                      Ive got a 14 gallon with 5 turbo snails in there and a cleaner shrimp and it doesn't seem to be doing the job. I've heard that they are really effective for cleaning algae. Maybe I need more than 5. Can anyone tell me I need to explore another route for my algae problem?<br />
                      <br />
                      Chef
                      <br />
                      <br />

55g Reef- first salt in many many years, coming along. Looking great, and stable. Garden mix of soft/lps corals. DIY refugeum

Comment

I suspect that your accustomed to the new tank algae that you get. Your experiencing something else right? I really like my mini or small turbin snails from Tampa. Try the reduced light and less food for a bit also.

Comment

Hair algae , get yellow tang

Comment

or a dwarf sea hare...
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by semper View Post
                              Hair algae , get yellow tang
                              In a 14G?

Comment

Working...
                              X