Critique my first aquarium plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique my first aquarium plan

I have wanted a saltwater aquarium for years, have read, have been on forums like this and now that I am in a place that i won't be leaving for a long time I am going to pull the trigger. I would like more experienced saltwater afficianados to tell me where i am going to go wrong and to answer some questions for me.

First my goal. I have found a 72 gallon bowfront tank with overflow that i want to use. I intend for this to end up a reef aquarium (mostly soft coral for this first tank) with a few fish and the requisite reef inverts. There will end up being a pair of clown fish in the tank as my fiance insists and I am torn between additional fish (I like the tangs and Foxface) but would love a mandarin after the tank has been established for a long time.

My current plan (pending advice gleaned in this thread)
    -72 gallon bow front with overflow
    -20 gallon refugium in the stand
    -DIY LED lights over main tank and refugium
    -50lbs of dry base rock
    -20-30lbs of live rock
    -1" argonite in the main tank
    -2" of sand in the refugium
    I want to set this all up and allow the cycle to happen, then:
    -add chaeto algae to refugium
    -add reef friendly inverts to main tank
    -add a pair of clowns to main tank
    Let this be for a while
    -begin slowly adding soft corals and other fish
    -Enjoy the beauty

Now for my questions
    -Is there a relatively inexpensive yet sufficiently effective RO/DI filter out there?
    -is a skimmer necessary from the beginning of the set up?
    -If not at what point should i add it?
    -If i am going to add the skimmer later how much space should i leave before the first baffle to accomodate a skimmer later
    -Any suggestions for return pumps from the refugium
    -Knowing i want to keep a pair of clowns (probably ocellaris since that is the fiances favorite) what other fish would be compatiable in this size tank?
    -Where is a good place to get live rock locally?

I am sure that there will be many many more questions forthcoming but any help before i get started would be appreciated.

Looks like you have been doing your research. Just take your time and keep reading. Here is a link to some refurbed RODI units. I've been using to 90 gal/day unit since I started my tank in Jan and its working great. I ran my skimmer during the cycle only to speed up the breakin period for it. A far as rock, if you want to take your time and save some $, I would use dry rock and add one piece of live rock to seed it. I would also recommend not running your lights during your cycle as it helps reduce the algae, at least it did for me. Take a look other peoples builds for ideas and learn from their experiences in starting up a new tank. Here is also a link to my build. I need to post up my build here as well.

RODI it expires today though.
    SpectraPure, Inc. is an Industry Standard in the Water Purification world. From Drinking Water to Aquarium Systems, you don't just want pure water, you want the PUREST Water! Get it with SpectraPure!

My build
    http://www.marshreef.com/modules.php...wtopic&t=48638

My LED build

Comment

Originally posted by fingas
      I have wanted a saltwater aquarium for years, have read, have been on forums like this and now that I am in a place that i won't be leaving for a long time I am going to pull the trigger. I would like more experienced saltwater afficianados to tell me where i am going to go wrong and to answer some questions for me.

First my goal. I have found a 72 gallon bowfront tank with overflow that i want to use. I intend for this to end up a reef aquarium (mostly soft coral for this first tank) with a few fish and the requisite reef inverts. There will end up being a pair of clown fish in the tank as my fiance insists and I am torn between additional fish (I like the tangs and Foxface) but would love a mandarin after the tank has been established for a long time.

My current plan (pending advice gleaned in this thread)
      -72 gallon bow front with overflow
      -20 gallon refugium in the stand
      -DIY LED lights over main tank and refugium
      -50lbs of dry base rock
      -20-30lbs of live rock
      -1" argonite in the main tank
      -2" of sand in the refugium
      I want to set this all up and allow the cycle to happen, then:
      -add chaeto algae to refugium
      -add reef friendly inverts to main tank
      -add a pair of clowns to main tank
      Let this be for a while
      -begin slowly adding soft corals and other fish
      -Enjoy the beauty
      Sounds like you have a great plan, but I question some of your items above.

- Lighting... Can you be more specific? Even softies require some par value... Over this tank, I would try to run "at least" 4 T5's or a couple of 250w MH's.
      - 1" of sand in the display... I get that. 2" in the sump... not sure what you're trying to do here.
      - Since your adding a lot of base rock, give it more time to seed from the live rock. This may increase your cycle time, and this sometimes depends on what type of base rock you buy. I've seen some nasty stuff growing off base rock for "months" before it's finally suitable for coral placement.
      - Adding clowns. Definitely wait for your tank to cycle, and QT them for 4-6 weeks. Ya' never can be too safe in this hobby.
      - Why wait on adding chaeto? Just chuck a handful in there, and throw some light over it.
      - Skimmer? No matter what anyone ever tells me, I feel it's the heart of the system. Buy the nicest one you can afford, that's suitable for your tank.
      - Try to automate your top off so it's once less thing you have to concern yourself with. The slightest drop in water level (due to evaporation) will mess with your skimmer (depending on where you have it, or what type you purchase), salinity, pH, etc...

Now for my questions
      -Is there a relatively inexpensive yet sufficiently effective RO/DI filter out there?
      Check eBay. I got my first one there, and it's still under the sink, providing great drinking water to my family. I've since upgraded to a nicer model, but didn't need to.

-is a skimmer necessary from the beginning of the set up?
      This is opinionated, but YES! It not only cleans out the waste and left over, floating solids, but it provides a great source of oxygen exchange to the tank. After seeing what's in the cup after a nice break-in period, you'll see what I mean. Don't skimp on this by buying a cheap skimmer (that you'll probably end up modifying any way). I did that; and while I'm pleased that I am a great source of information on "what makes skimmers super-effective and efficient," it's information in my head I could have done without (happily) for my entire life! LOL!

-If not at what point should i add it?
      See above.

-If i am going to add the skimmer later how much space should i leave before the first baffle to accomodate a skimmer later
      Most skimmer manufacturers provide spec/tech data sheets that should assist with water depths, and footprint. We really can't get into baffle placement until we know what you're wanting out of your sump.

-Any suggestions for return pumps from the refugium
      This is an easy one, but one that is overlooked a lot. If you think about it, if your system is designed right, should the pump fail... so what? I mean, you don't want it to (obviously) but if it does, it just means your sump may get a little "fuller" than normal. This could throw your skimmer into a tizzy, but even that can be engineered to not negatively impact the water level around the skimmer. Bottom line, any pump should do. Just be aware of head pressure, and how much flow you want going through the sump. I run my flow through my sump at appx. 350gph and I use a Mag 9.5 due to it's reputation... that was my only reason for going with it. I have the exit from it going to a butterfly valve, that is only open about 1/4 of it's full allowance.

-Knowing i want to keep a pair of clowns (probably ocellaris since that is the fiances favorite) what other fish would be compatiable in this size tank?
      Anything but other clowns, really. Try to veer clear of damsels if you can. They are "cute" (can guys say that?), but a royal PITA later on... especially with clowns. The only exception is "maybe" chromis'.

-Where is a good place to get live rock locally?
      Any LFS really. It's all the same song and dance from them all. You're best bet is to get some from a well-established reef (people sell off their rock all the time at great prices!), and just throw it in there.

Try to avoid rock with hair algae on it, but if the deal is just too good pass up, you can "cook" the rock to get rid of the hair algae. Not "cook" on the stove, but a method we reefers call "cooking." You can learn how to do that with basic searches, but it does take a lot more time to set the tank up if you have to do this.

My biggest recommendation, when it comes to Live Rock, is "BE PICKY!" I mean, reach in there, pull the rock out, and inspect every nook and cranny in it. Make sure it's a piece you can work with so that "that tank in your mind" can be more reachable. No sense in buying one big "boulder" if you can't shape it into what "you want," right?

I am sure that there will be many many more questions forthcoming but any help before i get started would be appreciated.
      Cool! Keep them coming! For what it's worth, 72g bows are not that common and I love them! I love any bow, honestly. The only think you have to watch out for is how you clean the front glass panel. Due to the bow, and how magnet cleaners are, you can scratch the glass. Just go side to side, with the magnet in a vertical position (if the magnet cleaner/scraper is rectangular, of course) and you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
      X