maintnance cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maintnance cost

can anyone tell me the average cost of maintaining a pico, nano, or average size sw aquarium.

i have the itch for sw and begun doing some research on the basics but never quite finished.

I'm really considering at least a fish/shrimp sw small setup but the only thing scaring me away is the cost since i have a baby on the way.

For a basic maintenance:
    1. $1.00 per gallon of saltwater
    2. $0.25 per gallon of RO/DI water for your top off
    3. $30.00 for a basic test kit
    4. Around $20.00-30.00 for food (mini-mysis, cyclops, oyster feast, phyto feast, nls marine formula). All this can last several months.

For a more sophisticate kind of corals you may need more test kits like alkaline, phosphate, magnesium, salinity, calcium, strontium.

Most of the corals are photosynthetic so a good light is always recommended as well of water flow. Beside all this you are done :). The more expensive part is start, the list of equipments depends basically of your budget, the range would be a couple of hundreds or thousands of dollars for a nano reef.

Can I say welcome to the dark side? lol

Comment

$1 per gallon of saltware? seems like it could get pricey
      and what do you mean by ro/di?

And thanks for the kind welcome, i never expected the evil inside me to come out lol

Comment

ro/di is Reverse Osmosis / Deionized water. You can buy it at LFS or buy the filter system for home.

Comment

I built a super carbon filter to filter my freshwater. I have also read of the carbon filter/water hose. These allow for tapwater to be used. Still test it.

I also supplement my storebought feeding by keeping some fresh fish, shrimp, and raw oyster in the freezer. I shave or scrape off some of each using a sharp knife to create frozen snow. It is thawed by the time I get it into the tank. I have heard not one complaint yet. A frozen squid might find its way into the mix soon. Shuck the oyster before you freeze it. Closed frozen oyster is like a rock with a worthless seam.
          39g Crypt/ anubias, wild shrimp and minnows.

55g Reef- first salt in many many years, coming along. Looking great, and stable. Garden mix of soft/lps corals. DIY refugeum

20g Reef- different than the first by design.

Comment

when instant ocean salt go on sale, i buy a bunch of it to stack up. right now i have a 10 gallon nano with just lots of rock and one clown fish. setting it up will cost an arm, a leg, and maybe another arm. but i'm sure once it's up and running, maintaining it won't be too expensive depending on what kind of corals you're keeping.

Comment

Do you want start up costs or Maintenance costs?
              My office 10 gallon costs me 2 gallons of water and a disposable filter cartidge every week. I also replace 2 gallons of saltwater every month.

Comment

Working...
              X