Tips for pics using this camera.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for pics using this camera.

Long story short, my ex wife is giving me my DSLR. Its a Canon EOS xsi.

For your camera nerds I have linked teh specs according to WIKI. My stepdad has the degree in photography not me, so please dont speak in tech-speak or to quickly as you may lose me. But the basic questions I have, would be what settings should I be messing with on this to make the best of my limited Point and Shoot ability.
    45G Cichlid and Turtle

Leave it on auto mode....

point and shoot.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Is this camera smart enough to make up for me being a dummy?
      45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

If you want to learn to use the camera more complicated feature, I would start using the camera in aperature priority mode. On canon, this is the Av mode. take the same picture with different aperature and see how they change the image.

Comment

I know you asked for PnS advice, but since you have access to a DSLR you might as well take advantage of a great opportunity! For moving fish you want as much light combined with as fast a shutter as possible. On the stock 18-55mm lens you want to:

1. set the camera to M

2. zoom all the way out to maximize your aperture at the F/3.5 setting

3. move your ISO up to 1600

4. play with your shutter speed starting around 1/80th at the very slowest setting, moving up to around 1/250th. You'll be doing this to help find the slowest shutter speed that allows enough light but is still fast enough to prevent getting blurry shots of your fish zooming by.

5. Over time, experiment with lowering your ISO down as you increase your shutter speed to help eliminate graininess in your photos and maximize photo quality.

Also set your camera to continuous shooting and fire off at least 3 to 5 shots every time you squeeze. The only way I've ever gotten that perfect shot, is to shoot about 100 before it, and 100 after it, then load them all in the computer to find the winners. Thank God for digital and no film right?

One other way to help get the shot you want is to get a tripod, or sit backwards in a chair so that you act as the tripod, pick a known spot in your tank where you know the fish you want to photograph are known to loiter, set you lenses focus from auto to manual, manually dial in where you want the focus and just wait. Doing this will save you the endless task of trying to follow your fish around only to get blurry chase shots. Make them come to you. Good luck!
          Last edited by jeebus; 07-26-2011, 11:01 PM.
          Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

IMO it all depends on what you're trying to shoot. Honestly, learn what all the features are and more importantly what they do. If you have questions feel free to ask them in a new thread.

I generally don't recommend M unless you know what you're doing. In all honesty shooting in Shutter Priority (Tv mode for canon, S mode of sony/nikon) would work a bit better for most situations. You pick the shutter speed, the camera picks the right aperture and iso for you.

Also remember the center focus sensor usually works best.

Comment

Originally posted by nhung View Post
              If you want to learn to use the camera more complicated feature, I would start using the camera in aperature priority mode. On canon, this is the Av mode. take the same picture with different aperature and see how they change the image.
              +1 i have a sceen mode setting and i've gone through all of them to get the best pics

Comment

for some reason my focus is off now. it used to auto adjust the focus. Now its not doing it. I think she dropped it. Arg!!
                45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Lightly tap the button?
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

nope. will look more into it tomorrow.
                    45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

get yourself a Nikon D series camera and never look back.... oh and shoot in RAW it makes a massive difference...
                      Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Nikon FTW!

I have always shot with nikon.
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by 40GallonsOfDoom View Post
                          Long story short, my ex wife is giving me my DSLR. Its a Canon EOS xsi.

For your camera nerds I have linked teh specs according to WIKI. My stepdad has the degree in photography not me, so please dont speak in tech-speak or to quickly as you may lose me. But the basic questions I have, would be what settings should I be messing with on this to make the best of my limited Point and Shoot ability.
                          You want me to do a full write up on SS, aperture, and ISO? Understand these first. It's the basics to DLSR.
                          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

If you guys write it I'll read it. I used to be able to take some great pics with this camera. Its a good piece of equipment. I just dont know what the heck she did to this thing to make it not work now. I had planned on getting the D40 but this was a good deal and I was overseas. I am just confused at how this woman jacked up my rig. The last camera I let her use she dropped into the Ionian Sea.
                            45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Ive got a d40. It isn't as nice as a D90 but it does what i need it to do.
                              Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X