Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lets talk quarantine tank

How small of a q-tank can I set up?

Since I have had zero luck finding any aquarium bred Cardinal shrimp not related to Phongs colony on Aquabid, I have decided to add some wild caught specimens to my shrimp tank. However, I have read many posts about the huge risk of bacterial infections that are common with wild caught Cardinals. However, I have read on the SCAPE forum that you can pre-treat the cardinals with paraguard without any ill affects to the shrimp. Check out the "Shared Sulawesi Diary".

I am thinking the Fluval 2 gallon tank might do the trick.

What would you recommend as a QT set up and pre-treatment?

Austex.. have you had good luck getting inverts from aqua bid?! after going to River City, Amazonia, Aqua dome and Aquatek.. it seems online is best option..

i was not aware about bacterial infection possibility with shrimp... i am also interested in this type of information.. mostly because if my fish could be cross contaminated.. :(

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
    N.A.D.A Facebook
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

I'd honestly do a bigger tank . . . like a 10g. You will have to use more meds, butthere is a bit more room for error in a big tank.
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

austex.. i just googled those shrimp.. holy smokes.. they blow my cherry reds out of the water!! did you find source?

N.A.D.A Facebook
        Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

Hello Warlock,

I purchased my Cardinals from Phong on Aquabid. He has the most stable/healthy colony that I have found in the USA. I was surprised how many hobbyist can trace their Cardinals back to Phong (even in Houston and Aquabid). You can purchase some wild caught specimens, but the mortality rate is high. They are also full of parasites and harmful bacteria. However, you can treat them with Paraguard and they seem to respond well. I did find another source of F2 and F3 cardinals from a new colony of wild caught specimens. I am planning on buying 6 of them to add to my colony. I will be putting them a QT tank first for observation. My concern is that my colony of Cardinals is very inbreed and with each new generation they are more susceptible to diseases. I am hoping that these new genes will result in a stronger and healthier colony of Cardinals.

By the way, there are some wild caught specimens currently on Aquabid. In my opinion, they are to expensive and you will have too high of a mortality rate. These wild caught shrimp have already been severely stressed out and will likely die anyway. When I visited Phong in California, he told me that when he started his colony of Cardinals, he purchase several hundred specimens. All but two dozen or so cardinals ended up dying. The remaining specimens started breeding and the rest is history. I would only buy aquarium bred Cardinals. Let me know if you find another source. I am always interested in a few specimens.

Comment

ditto.. those shrimp are gorgeous!! i just started.. but i could see myself moving on to a shrimp like that!! :)

my girlfriend loves the shrimp.. so these would be for her.. :) :) so i can keep gettin discus.. LOL

ps.. i live east austin.. when i get more experienced.. maybe we can split some shipments or something like that.. i want to learn about the inverts! they are way cool!

N.A.D.A Facebook
            Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

Warlock,

Let me know when you are ready to set up your tank. I can tell you how I put mine together. I have seen many different set ups that have worked well. All have stable environments. Be aware that these shrimp mainly eat the algae that grows on the rocks, wood, and gravel. So a well established tank with good lighting is a must. I also ran my tank for two months before I added any shrimp. There are a few plants that will also toterate the high temp and PH environment.

By the way, do a web search for Rabbit Snails. They are great tank mates for the sulawesi (cardinal ) shrimp.

Good luck

Comment

thanks for the info! :)

N.A.D.A Facebook
                Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

Hi Austex. I agree with Tim regarding bigger Q tank. Since wild caught shrimps have very high death rate, the tank MUST be stable just to keep them alive before using treatment. BTW, my colony consist mostly Tim's shrimps and three wild caught. They are doing supprisingly well and growing. Maybe in a couple months my juvies will big enough to part out. LMK if you are interested. Joe

Comment

Working...
                  X