Saltwater night shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saltwater night shots

Ok, as everyone knows, I SUCK at photography. Can someone PLEASE help me with settings on how to take pictures of corals with just the BLUE LEDs on? I tried using my point and shoot but there is ZERO color. Its basically a black and white photo. I will be using a DSLR tonight but don't know what settings to use. Thanks for any help.

This is a picture taken by SEMPER. I hope you don't mind my using this photo. If you want me to take it down, just tell me so. This is what I am trying to accomplish.

ADA mini-m planted
    ADA mini-m riparium
    ADA 30-C nano reef
    ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
    ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
    Eheim 90cm SA biotope
    110g Peacocks

What camera are you using?

What lens are you using?

What lights are you using?

If it's the AL, what setting do you have the light combo at?

What editing software will you use?

All these play a role in how the picture will come out.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I don't believe you can take colorful images under one color of lighting(blue, red, green, etc.). The reason being that the camera will only capture the color that is reflected off of the subject being photographed. Under blue lighting only blue in the color spectrum of the lighting will be reflected. Sorry to tell you this but the good news is that it has nothing to do with your photography skills.
      120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
      180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

You MAY be able to achieve the low lighting affect (with full color) if you use an overhead flash on a very low setting. Just enough to produce the reflection of the desired coloring, not enough to light up the entire tank.

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

you need to change the lighting settings (if you can) on my camera I change it to 6700K (I think they call it "Shade") and It really helps show the blue only lighting. alot of cameras use settings like "shade" "night" " or "low light". hope that helps.
          25g - Reef
          3.5g - Surge Tank
          10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Vanson has an AI light. IMHO, he doesn't need flash or changes in his camera setting.

He can adjust the white/blue balance with that light fixture.

Using a tripod is best for SW reef pictures. You can lower the shutter speed down to allow in more light instead of giving up on iso or aperture.
            Last edited by myjohnson; 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM. Reason: sp
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by screename View Post
              Can someone PLEASE help me with settings on how to take pictures of corals with just the BLUE LEDs on? I tried using my point and shoot but there is ZERO color.
              Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
              Vanson as an AI light. IMHO, he doesn't need flash or change to those settings.
              He can just the white/blue balance with the light.

he wanted to know how to take a pic with blues on only....
              25g - Reef
              3.5g - Surge Tank
              10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

I know. He was at my apartment just last night to pick up some corals. :)

The pictures he wants to take is easier to do by just adjusting the white/blue balance on the AI fixture or do it in photoshop. I told him that already. He may not understand what I was talking about bc I was HAmMered! :)

I have done shots with both methods. I'll post up my pictures with some settings when I get on my PC.

Can you post shots of your reef tank?

I want to compare the diff bc we all have LEDs.
                Last edited by myjohnson; 07-12-2011, 11:36 AM. Reason: sp
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

It is not a matter of settings, shutter speed, or digital processing the sensor can only capture the color that is reflected. In this case the only color the sensor will capture is shades of blue. Think of it like this, if you use a red lens flashlight at night anything you cast the beam on will be red because it is the only color reflected. The eye and the camera can only see reflected not inherent color.

Comment

Again,

Vanson does not really mean to only run the blues. I know what he posted but he is new and I been talking to him about DSLR.

Gene,

Can you post your pictures of a reef tank with only blues on? I like to see how they turn out.
                    Last edited by myjohnson; 07-12-2011, 11:37 AM. Reason: sp
                    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Thai I had to go off of what he said about night shots with only blues in his original post. As for the pictures I told a friend I would shoot his reef tank for him. I will try a few with just the actinics with and without the flash for comparisons sake.

Comment

I tried we my remote flash....it was disappointing. :(

Can't want for your pictures.
                        Last edited by myjohnson; 07-12-2011, 11:37 AM. Reason: sp
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

When you shot was it under under actinic (single color) or full spectrum lighting?

Have a look at this link it does a better job of explaining what I was getting at about what the eye and the sensor see.

Comment

A little late to the party here. But here's a few of my shots when i did just the royal blue leds on. Yes I was going for the blue look, I was trying to bring out the fluorescence of the coral polyps.

I forgot and left it on AWB at first, I guess the extreme blue jacked up the awb and the camera left it at 5000k. I liked how it turned out so I left it like that. I guess when the camera can't figure out the right color temperature it defaults to 5000k

Last edited by soymilk; 07-11-2011, 04:03 AM.

Comment

if you're trying to take the picture under blue lights and then try to make it look more natural, then change white balance. Like someone mentioned, "Shade" is normally around 20k I think.

Are you trying to recreate the color from sempers' shot, or the quality or clarity of it?

Comment

Working...
                              X