No announcement yet.

Cant decide, Need Experienced Opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant decide, Need Experienced Opinion.

I have a 45 and 30 that can be set up easily, my question is what is the largest type of puffer that would be happy its whole life in a tank of that size. No tankmates. Or would I be better off getting a few dwarfs, and if so how many per tank? I have very good filtration on my 30, Rena XP3. And a Eheim EccoPro 2236 on the 45.

I read the Freshwater Puffer Info thread, I am curious as to if those are minimum sizes on tanks. And it would be great if i knew the availability of those each type of puffer. I havent seen many in stores. Also I dont want to fool with brackish water or salt.

Thanks for your help. I will be trolling the LFS today with my 2 kiddos on the SW side.
    45G Cichlid and Turtle

Here are some I found locally. I am pretty sure one is mislabeled. It says black spotted but wiki says they are saltwater.
    Attached Files
    45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Fugu will last a few months at most in fresh, as they get older they need to go to full saltwater. A congo puffer would be an option
      mmm...pancakes

Comment

This is exactly my problem. I find a little guy that I think may so well and it turns out that the lfs is selling them as something they aren't.
        45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Has anyone had experience with a Giant Spotted Puffer? That seems to be what I am looking for. Something interactive and not butt ugly. I looked at the congo's and they are not my cup of tea, although the red is cool looking.
          45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

pea puffer?

Comment

I would like something that's fairly big. If it will be by itself in a 45 I think I need to have something decent sized.
              45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

how about Fahaka? I dont suggest you MBU. the fahaka I have is kind shy and stay in my 30G. It's hard to find any mate for him since it looks very quiet.
                But one thing can make you exciting is it can really puff up. very funny if you see that happend.
                the other puffers like green spotted, I never see the puffing happened.

Comment

Mbu and fahaka both are too big for 45g
                  45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

abei puffer is the right size for that tank

Comment

Do you have any more info on this guy? Links? I have never heard of it.
                      45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Sounds like a tough fit for puffers. Several pea puffer may work. i've had them in the past. They were big time fin nippers.

In my 40 gallon and under tanks I've done some awesome barb and small species tanganyikan set ups.

Comment

This is what found but If anyone can give more info or personal exp with it I would be very happy. Also if anyone knows of a local store that could get this guy or a Giant Spotted Puffer, please let me know. I will have my 45 transfered soon and will start the planting and aquascaping within a few days.
                          45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

pretty sure this site will answer all your questions about puffers.
                            75 planted (Being Renovated)
                            Endlers
                            gobies
                            lots of nanos

Comment

Ok, now I have 3 options. Abe's, Giant Spotted, or Brown. Just need to find one locally now.
                              45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Working...
                              X