discus fish dying??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discus fish dying??

I did a water change a few months ago and my fish starting dying their eyes were covered in film so I changed the water again 50% and medicated the water and was told to double the chemical dosage when doing a water change now everytime I do a water change one of them dies, and the rest get the same white film on their eyes ???? I also noticed that the green grass or algae growing on dirft wood is turning brown almost like it is dying ?? ANYONE HAVE ANY CLUES ???????PLEASE HELP

Sounds like a water quality issue. Are you checking water parameters? How about the water you are adding? What filters are you using and have you changed them recently. You may have a pockett of something affecting the water quality. Are the eyes protruding any? What are you using to treat the water and where are you located. It sucks I know been there done that
    Mike

Comment

I have two cannister filters, and it has not been six months yet to change everything out, and I am using Kordons for removing all the bad stuff, and Kordons conditioner, It is a 70 gallon tank so I have been doing 20 to 30 percent changes weekly but started doing it every two weeks because they always get sick afterwards, and I live in the 1960/249 area. I feel so bad for fish I have pretty much tried everything I feel like just starting all over but I just cant bring myself to personally kill my fish but I hate watching them just die. They used to be so big and colorful. Eyes are not protruding but have the same white bubble everytime I change water but thats it nothing else and of course they are lazy too

Comment

I am by no means a discus man.. However it sounds like they are stressed. Are you running the temp high enough? Have you tried a fungacide? There are several fungus that will cause cloudy eyes. I would try changing out the filters, there might be something in there reducing the water quality. Are there any pesticide being sprayed near the tank. Any lead that could have gotten in the tank. I am just throwing things out now. Do the eyes look like a catarac or are there tiny bubbles forming from the inside out?
        Mike

Comment

I will start checking the water parameters of your tank and tap water (ammonia, nitrates and nitrites). 20-30 gal w/c per week is a bit low but not bad, I will suggest at least 75% 2 times per week and clean the sand periodically. Also clean your filters every month or so. What media are you using in your canister filters and what size are they? try to match the temp of your tap water and tank. What is the temp of your tank?

Comment

Discus need really clean water. You need to be doing a few water changes a week when they are healthy and possibly increasing it to daily when they arent. When you wrote that you did a water change a few months ago, that tells me you for sure have water quality issues since this is a discus tank. How many do you have and how big is the tank?
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I have a ehiem 2213 and a fluval 305 and figured this was more than enough, and using the standard bio substrate, and pads, and some peat
              the temp is at 82 I guess I can bump this up
              well I am going to giev it one last try. Ill do 75% twice a week and change out filters once a month and see what happens thanks for all the info everyone
              It does completely suck when they all of the sudden just die

Comment

No I do the water changes weekly or I changed it to every two weeks only because ever since the problem started a few months ago my tank just went crazy so I just stuck with every two weeks and backed off on the feeding a little. There is only six discus in the tank.
                Problem is I have had all these discus for a while now and I have never changed the way I do water changes except for the one day I was running low on the cleaning chemicals so I put in the minimum I was in a hurry and was going out of town and didnt want to miss at the time the weekly water changes and when I came back two days later all my clown, plecos, and neon tetras died up until that point it was a very healthy active tank

Comment

do not clean both filters at the same time and up your temp @ 84F-85F. Depending of the number and size of you fish, your filtration and water change regimen would not be enough.

Comment

There are plenty of people that will tell you that you need to do 100% WC daily for healthy discus. I am not one that prescribes to that notion but I do believe that you need to be doing close to 50% every other day. Once a week or once every two weeks is not enough unless you have 6 discus in a 300+ gallon tank.
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

My two pennies:
                      The white covering the eyes is a water quality issue.
                      Keep the water at 84F. Do daily 50% to 75% partials with thorough substrate cleanings. Get some prime and use it double strength. Discus need CLEAN water. If this means more work/maint on your part then that's what needs to happen. Make sure your replacement water temp is the same as the tank. Once you have a handle on the water quality in the tank, I'd do at least 50% twice weekly partials with monthly cleanings on the filters, alternated every two weeks.

Mark
                      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Mods can you move this to discus or disease section.
                        Resident fish bum
                        330G FOWLR
                        34G Reef
                        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

well.. what happened?

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
                          N.A.D.A Facebook
                          Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

Working...
                          X