Ever tried it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever tried it?

Has anyone ever tried keeping Crappie. I think at tall planted tank with a few crappie would look really neat. I say tall tank like it makes a differance. They are deep water fish mostly but can be caught in the shallows. Just a thought.
    Lori's husband Bill.

The sunfish /bluegills are more colorful and do better in warm water. A friend had a 100g in a basement in Chicago area (about 65F all year), he had most local fish; crappie, perch, stickle back, small pike, blue gills, bullheads,etc. I am sure it was very illegal, but many years ago. I thought the blue gills were the best.

Comment

I've got a few perch and bluegill in my aquarium. But they are food... So yeah.

Comment

I had my 125 set up native for a while with a couple crappie, bluegill and a black bass. The crappie were very mellow and tended to hang in one spot. The bluegill were terrors, especially when they spawned. It took a while but I eventually got them eating cichlid sticks.

Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Thanks guys. I kept a few perch years ago. Never any crappie though. They are not much to look at as far as color goes but, I really like the high fens. Just something different I guess.
          Lori's husband Bill.

Comment

I agree with the others, my blue gill in my pond did well & would eat either pellet food or worms & wild crickets from hand feeding. Very pretty fish indeed.
            • 2000g Outdoor Pond w/ WC Texas Cichlids
            • 90g high & 42g corner bow-front Lake Malawi
            • 45g high grow-out tank
            • 10 & 20g grow-out tanks, Lake Malawi fry & BN Plecos

Comment

Working...
            X