First Saltwater Biocube Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Saltwater Biocube Tank

I just started my first saltwater aquarium setup in Biocube 14. Thanks for david @ citypets for the startup. It is 3 days old setup. Next 3 weeks going to be a Bacteria Cycle.

Day 3

For the Live rock Initially i just stocked on the back wall and the next day i just removed it and drilled on the back and used Bonsai Wire (Aluminum wire) to tied together. I hope it is stable and it can go another 2 years. I had small piece of rock chips that I kept it on the side so that i can use it later.

I love the Live sand that it is white and very attractive. I hope i can able to maintain it the way in future. It is just more than an Inch. Bought one bag and have small quantity left for future.

In the first chamber I removed the bottom slit and I kept the heater. I may use this for skimmer in future.

In Middle (Filter) chamber Top Bioballs and One Inch filter pad and ceramic filter rings and bottom One Inch filter pad again. I think I'm missing carbon pads. I do not know where to use carbon. will find it soon.

In the last chamber I have my pump. may be I need a circulation pump.

Now you can tell me what to expect in the first 4 weeks and how to introduce corals and fish.

Whats you opinion about the setup. Will Update soon.
    Attached Files
    55 Gal Planted Tank
    20 Gal Plant Growing Tank
    14 Gal Bio Cube Plant Tank (Iwagumi Style)

Looks good! I wouldn't add fish for at least three weeks, or until the readings are all "0" (except for pH). As for coral, you can add softies when you add your fish, but I would wait a couple of months before adding coral.

To speed up the bacteria cycle, you can add a piece of shrimp for the bacteria to eat.
    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

Love the scape man it looks great.
      FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

Looks good. Two things though you may want to get a little PH that points in the back because you will get a dietrus build up back there and the rock on the right is a little close to the glass and algae will build up there and it will be hard to clean that spot. It may not matter to you but when I accidentally did it it infuriated me to no end because there was an area of algae I could never clean and I like my glass clean.
        Resident fish bum
        330G FOWLR
        34G Reef
        330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
        28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by fishboyt View Post
          Looks good! I wouldn't add fish for at least three weeks, or until the readings are all "0" (except for pH). As for coral, you can add softies when you add your fish, but I would wait a couple of months before adding coral.

To speed up the bacteria cycle, you can add a piece of shrimp for the bacteria to eat.
          Thanks for the Shrimp Idea. this is new lesson for sure. I think i can apply for the freshwater, i need to findout more.

Originally posted by TaTeR ToT View Post
          Love the scape man it looks great.
          Thanks.

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
          Looks good. Two things though you may want to get a little PH that points in the back because you will get a dietrus build up back there and the rock on the right is a little close to the glass and algae will build up there and it will be hard to clean that spot. It may not matter to you but when I accidentally did it it infuriated me to no end because there was an area of algae I could never clean and I like my glass clean.
          Thanks Darbex. I like my glass clean too. made little adjustment to the position so that my mini magnet cleaner can move on all of the glass. thanks to point this out.
          55 Gal Planted Tank

Comment

Update?
            Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

looks Nice
              Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Update: Took the water sample to Fish gallery. Kevin tested and told me lots of Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite. Looks like I need to wait may be 1 -2 weeks.
                I added Koralia nano pump. And I bought Compact fluorescent retrofit kit to add one more 50-50 bulb, But still working on it.

Any suggestions on Corals, fish and invertebrates?
                55 Gal Planted Tank

Comment

I would start off with easy coral, mushrooms, zoas, torch, hammer, frogspawn. these are great starter corals and are require verry little care.
                  People who stand for nothing will fall for everything.

30 cube ( Hi tech planted)(for sale)
                  29 bio cube (reef)
                  20 cube (kids tank)

Comment

Let me know when u are ready to add stuff

I have Zoas, mushrooms, frogspawn, hammmer, green star polyps, Kenya trees

And I'm just down the road from u

Comment

Any updates?
                      Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

27 July 2011 - Update: Corals

27 July 2011 - Update:

Finally my tank completed the cycle and added couple of damsel and some beautiful small corals. Thanks Semper for the Corals. I'm looking for small size Clown fish and yellow Tang do let me know anyone sells.

Water condition is good. found some brown algae on the sand and rocks. I did brushed couple of time but it seems comes back after two water changes. looks like some sort of cyclying so I left it. I'm adding 3ml reef minerals Part A and Part B almost everyday. In a month I may decide on my 75gal SW setup.

Hope you guys enjoy the pics. I forgot those coral names can someone identify those?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11. Blue Damsel
                        11.jpg
                        55 Gal Planted Tank

Comment

Nice thanks for the updates....
                          Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

i just added couple of clown ocellaris and a strawberry pseudochromis will update soon.
                            55 Gal Planted Tank

Comment

Biocube Tank - Update : 01 October 2011

Update : 01 October 2011

Finally got a time to update hfb. Added some corals from Semper. And some thru Marshreef member.

Both clown ocellaris are very much paired but they are competing each other to decide the sex, Lots of actions they are doing. And I gave free this strawberry pseudochromis and couple of other fishes, bcoz they are very wild towards the Fire red shrimp.

MY fire red shrimp is doing fine. but little scary type.

before I had lots of Red Slim Algae (Cyanobacteria), but ChemiClean did the perfect job. Now I added the Biocube Skimmer so coral doing very good.

My new 75 gallon tank is ready, but i couldn't decide which one I should do either Planted Tank or Reef Tank. I love Planted Tanks too.

Hope you guys enjoy this.

Kevin
                              IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg
                              55 Gal Planted Tank

Comment

Working...
                              X