Questions regarding water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding water

I plan on starting a sw tank here in the next week or two and have questions about RO water. I plan on starting with only fish until i know I can handle corals. My main question is, how important is it to have RO water with fish only? I know with corals it is strongly suggested to have RO water, but are sw fish as sensitive? Once I go with corals is RO or RO/DI better? I plan on having live rock and sand to start with as well. Thanks!
    29g Fire Belly Toad
    • Hippity
    • Hoppity
    • Fatty
    • Pip
    • Skitz
    20g Long
    Fully planted with fish

If you start with tap water then it will always be in your system. No matter how many water changes you do some will remain in the tank. The main reason to stay away from tap is the algae it causes due to impurities. So if you want algae then use tap. IMO any saltwater tank should atleast use RO water, that of course is just my opinion. You may be fine with tap water, but I doubt it.
    20g mixed reef

Comment

You will be fine with tap. Just ask anyone that has seen my tanks

Comment

Depending on where i lived, i have used either one or the other.
        When i lived in Louisiana and water is hard and had high TDS i had to use RO water.
        Since moving to houston (around the galleria area) where the TDS is significantly lower that previously, i have always just used 100 tapwater.
        But make sure that your top-up water is ALWAYS RO water.

I do warn however that tapwater seems to cause a significantly larger diatom and algae bloom when just starting out and cycling. Probably because of the dissolved nutrients. The solution seems to be running a macroalgae refugium 24/7 during the cycling process. The macrolagae will help suck up nutrients.

Good luck!
        www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Its hard enough controlling algae in RO/DI water but to use tap water for creating SW, IMO, is asking for trouble to start one day. To each his own.
          Resident fish bum
          330G FOWLR
          34G Reef
          330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
          28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by semper View Post
            You will be fine with tap. Just ask anyone that has seen my tanks
            We are not saying that it can't be done. It's just the exception to the rule.

When there is an algae outbreak, or a question about a sickened coral, it makes it so much easier to rule out UNKNOWN water contamination if your source water is pure.

Comment

I planned on using tap water until I decide to go with corals. Before I added corals I was planned to do multiple water changes with RO water. Would that work?
              29g Fire Belly Toad
              • Hippity
              • Hoppity
              • Fatty
              • Pip
              • Skitz
              20g Long
              Fully planted with fish

Comment

Originally posted by nightster View Post
                If you start with tap water then it will always be in your system. No matter how many water changes you do some will remain in the tank. The main reason to stay away from tap is the algae it causes due to impurities. So if you want algae then use tap. IMO any saltwater tank should atleast use RO water, that of course is just my opinion. You may be fine with tap water....
                Originally posted by nacra99 View Post
                ...I do warn however that tapwater seems to cause a significantly larger diatom and algae bloom when just starting out and cycling. Probably because of the dissolved nutrients. The solution seems to be running a macroalgae refugium 24/7 during the cycling process. The macrolagae will help suck up nutrients.

Good luck!
                Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                Its hard enough controlling algae in RO/DI water but to use tap water for creating SW, IMO, is asking for trouble to start one day. To each his own.
                Originally posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
                We are not saying that it can't be done...
                Will it work? YES. Is it recommended...NO.

Comment

I guess it depends on how good your tap water is mine is horrible lol.
                  20g mixed reef

Comment

Yeah my tap water TDS is about 300-400. Thats way to uncomfortable for my taste. My RO/DI water is 0-4 TDS. That alleviates the worry of contaminants.
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

What is TDS?
                      29g Fire Belly Toad
                      • Hippity
                      • Hoppity
                      • Fatty
                      • Pip
                      • Skitz
                      20g Long
                      Fully planted with fish

Comment

Originally posted by xxPinkFlamingo View Post
                        What is TDS?
                        Total Dissolved Solids = checked with a TDS meter.

Comment

How big of a tank are you planning on? I'll run you some RO/DI water if you want it. IMO I would do like the others have said, and start with the best quality water you can get, just to be on the safe side.

Comment

By the way, those watermill express places filter their water with RO/DI. The one by my place is 25 cents a gallon.
                            135 gal Fahaka Puffer
                            150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
                            185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

Originally posted by BeefyG View Post
                              By the way, those watermill express places filter their water with RO/DI. The one by my place is 25 cents a gallon.
                              They are only RO water. You would not want to drink RO/DI water, it has no taste and some have even said it is not healthy to drink. I know mine tastes strange when I get a mouthful from using a hose to siphon it off into a bucket. The only bad thing about those places is you usually don't know when it was serviced last, and you really need a TDS meter to test it. I just checked their website, they do service them daily, but only guarantee a TDS of less than 50. I get my RO water down to under 4 ppm and sometimes it is almost zero, but it is for sure zero after the DI stage.

Comment

Working...
                              X