Looking to catch a Large Mouth Bass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to catch a Large Mouth Bass.

Anyone have any tips or tricks on this? I am interested in getting 1 for my 85g. Any spots to try to get one would be great and any other info on keeping one alive in a tank would be great.
    45G Cichlid and Turtle

Moderate flow, live foods slowly conditioned to prepared and frozen foods, and completely ridiculous filtration.

Oh and an eventual 300g plus tank.
    FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

300g won't do it. Believe me. You'll need much more. I don't think it's really worth it in the long run unless you raise and keep him/her in at least 800g. (S)He won't be able to even turn around in a 300g, and with their big appetites and the resultant waste...well, yeah.
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Haha, well let me go get rinse the p*** from my cheerios. What kind of Native gamefish would work in a 85? any?
        Last edited by Gene D; 06-04-2011, 10:26 PM.
        45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Originally posted by 40GallonsOfDoom View Post
          Haha, well let me go get rinse the p*** from my cheerios.
          Inappropriate comment please remove.
          Last edited by Gene D; 06-04-2011, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Sorry about that, did not mean to offend.
            45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Sunfish, black perch, most species of crappie, lady of the lake sirens, gambusia sp. That's all I can think of at the moment.
              FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

Is an 85 big enough for a few of those species or would it be just a 1 fish show? Is there some page I can go to read more so I am not bothering people so much?
                45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Of those species I would do 3x Sunfish, 12x gambusia afinnis, a flathead catfish, 5 black perch, and 6x river darters.
                  FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

All of those in 1 tank? Thanks pretty nice. Umm should I mention my tank is 13" wide. I dont know if that will affect any of those guys. 60x25x13
                    45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

That will be super overstocked. Think LMB are messy? You're talking about one of the largest catfish in the states, haha. The minimum size limit on a flathead is 18 inches... and the mouth is already huge at that size. Everything else in there will be a snack even at that size.

40, did you read the responses to your last post in this same forum? I gave some advice there. I would plan on sticking to sunfish with maybe a single bullhead or a few madtom catfish. You can read a lot of good stocking advice at the NANFA forum - http://forum.nanfa.org.

Comment

Honestly with the mini crisis I had with my 40g I forgot all about the other thread. Just dug it up. Thanks.
                        45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Ok, Theres another one I forgot the name, shouldn't assume when giving advice, my bad.

If the tank is 13" wide, then yes, it won't work with sunfish, grown turning.radius will be gone.

Stick with lfs until you can get a huge and I mean huge tank, 700g + then you can have your native.tank.
                          FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

Curses.
                            45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

I had a stripped bass & a goggle-eye (rock bass) in my 2000 gallon pond at one time........had to release them back to the wild, too much trouble to keep them fed, even with free June bugs in the spring. Bream did well & still thrive, even have one I hand feed but the guys are right, they need room to turn on a full run and those small tanks just wont do.
                              • 2000g Outdoor Pond w/ WC Texas Cichlids
                              • 90g high & 42g corner bow-front Lake Malawi
                              • 45g high grow-out tank
                              • 10 & 20g grow-out tanks, Lake Malawi fry & BN Plecos

Comment

Working...
                              X