Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting

What are the pros and cons of having a canopy? Do you have to use retrofit lighting or can you just use a mounted light on top of the tank. For corals what type of lighting is needed? I want to start with easy corals. Thanks!!!
    29g Fire Belly Toad
    • Hippity
    • Hoppity
    • Fatty
    • Pip
    • Skitz
    20g Long
    Fully planted with fish

A canopy keeps fish and light in, it slows down evaporation, and you can use retrofit kits in them which are cheaper than buying fixtures. You can't use a fixture inside a canopy unless you use fans to keep it cool. I don't reccomend doing that, though, unless the manufacterer says its OK.

I'm guessing by "easy corals" you mean softies (zoanthids, palys, etc.). I've heard of people keeping them under T12 lighting, but I would do power compact. T5 is even better. If you want, you could even go metal halide, but LED's are even better, and they're cooler (they cost a lot more, though).

If you need help with anything else, post up on the forum and I'll see if I can help you. :) Here's an awesome reef aquarium forum for the Houston area: http://www.marshreef.com/index.php
    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

I was thinking this one maybe two of them? No clue, I just got the go ahead to get a reef tank, so I looking at all my options.
      What about moonlights? I don't really understand them. Are they just for viewing at night? Are a few LEDs used for night lights?
      29g Fire Belly Toad
      • Hippity
      • Hoppity
      • Fatty
      • Pip
      • Skitz
      20g Long
      Fully planted with fish

Comment

What sized tank is this going to be? For the fixtures in the link, you can just screw the reflectors into the top of the canopy and put a piece of acrylic underneath them as a splash guard. You'll also want to get a computer fan or two because power compacts become hot to the touch.

Yeah, they're just LED's. You don't need them, they're just for looks. I put some of them on my tanks and they look really cool at night. I know where you can get some cheap, though. PM me if you want to get some for your tank. :)

Comment

I looked at the comp fans but where do you plug that into? Another thing is where would I buy pieces of acrilic? I know I'll need some for my sump as well. Im thinking between 55-75 on the tank, maybe bigger, only have $250 saved so far plus gift cards im trying to pawn off on people lol.
          29g Fire Belly Toad
          • Hippity
          • Hoppity
          • Fatty
          • Pip
          • Skitz
          20g Long
          Fully planted with fish

Comment

Is your canopy closed top or open top? I personally would do T5 as PC doesnt get great PAR in the event you want to do LPS or SPS corals in the future. T5s run cooler than MH and are significantly cheaper than LEDs. IMO the word is still out on LEDs and whether than can adequate produce the right PAR.
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by xxPinkFlamingo View Post
              I looked at the comp fans but where do you plug that into? Another thing is where would I buy pieces of acrilic? I know I'll need some for my sump as well. Im thinking between 55-75 on the tank, maybe bigger, only have $250 saved so far plus gift cards im trying to pawn off on people lol.
              LOL! I think I'm in the same situation as you!

As Darbex said, If you can do T5's, those oare the best for the money. I would go with those.
              You can get T5 ballasts at Home Depot for about $12.00. One of these will run a bulb. I think you can get one that will run two, but it costs more than two of the single-runners do.
              Next you buy your endcaps (about $10.00 a set). These do not come with standoffs (unless you buy some used, in which case they may). If they don't you can easily make standoffs out of just about anything you can think of.
              Finally you need bulbs. I'll have to find the bulb combination for you, but there are a few good places to get the bulbs. City Pets sells them for about $40.00 a piece. There is a saltwater guy in Dickinson who sells the bulbs for about $30.00-$40.00 a piece. His store is called "Frags and More".
              I've had this setup on my 40 breeder for about 6 months now and it works really well.

For the acrylic, you can get it at Aeroshield plastics, or Regal Plastics.

Comment

Whew now im lost. I haven't bought the canopy yet seeing as I didn't know if it was worth it. I like the look of a canopy but lighting it with T5's sounds tricky since i don't know what your talking about lol.
                29g Fire Belly Toad
                • Hippity
                • Hoppity
                • Fatty
                • Pip
                • Skitz
                20g Long
                Fully planted with fish

Comment

T5 are awesome.

More color combinations. Less heat than halides and way cheaper than leds.

Comment

Originally posted by xxPinkFlamingo View Post
                    Whew now im lost. I haven't bought the canopy yet seeing as I didn't know if it was worth it. I like the look of a canopy but lighting it with T5's sounds tricky since i don't know what your talking about lol.
                    LOL! Sorry. If you can drive, come by and check out my tank. Its not the best, but it gives you an idea of what the lighting looks like. :)

Comment

Working...
                    X