First pond build questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First pond build questions

I'm debating if I want to build a pond in my back yard. If I do id like it to be over 1500 gallons, I came up with 8'lx8'wx4'd. Came out to just under 1900 gallons. Id like it to be partial in ground and partial above ground, I'm thinkin 3' deep and 1' above. If it does get built id more than likely stock koi. Probably just turn a 100gal rubbermaid stock tank into a bio filter. I just don't know if I want to fork over the $ to put this in motion. Just wondering what kind of up keep on ponds is? Are water changes involved? Thanks
    20g mixed reef

The 100gal rubbermaid will make a great filter for the pond. If you can get a dump truck and a backhoe in your back yard that should make digging easy . If you have a easy place to dump the dirt even better. I found it harder to get ride of my dirt than anything. Hauling it out to the street in wheel barrels and buckets. Dumping it all around the area. I felt like a criminal. I was filling in low spots in all my neighbors yards. As far as cost the money could easily add up to $500.00 or more, just for the pond. Koi will cost that much too. You still have to flush the toilet that they live in(water change's). but I say DO IT.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

I probably will, I found a decent price for a 20'x20' 45ml liner. Now I just gotta call 311 or whatever it is before I start digging. Well that and tear up some bushes...
      20g mixed reef

Comment

You are welcome to come look at my pond and filter setup lol.
        300 Gallon Moshi, Clown loaches.
        180 Gallon Red Bulu, Clown Loaches.
        120 Gallon Ikola, Clown Loaches.
        92 Gallon Duboisi, Clown Loaches.
        40 Gallion fry.
        10 Gallon fry.
        33 Gallon Shrimp.
        4000 Gallon Koi.

Comment

Thanks but cypress is a bit of a drive for me.
          20g mixed reef

Comment

Make sure you find a good location that doesn't have lots of sun shining on it or you would have algae problem later, and also I would do double liner (cost a little more) but save you from the leaking trouble in the future. I had that on mine which was really a pain to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by rama View Post
              You are welcome to come look at my pond and filter setup lol.
              post a pic of it. I would love to see it.
              =)
              -Chowchaucow

Comment

Originally posted by soybeanbaby View Post
                post a pic of it. I would love to see it.
                =)
                Here you go.

40 Gallion fry.
                10 Gallon fry.
                33 Gallon Shrimp.
                4000 Gallon Koi.

Comment

Originally posted by stealthcs View Post
                  Make sure you find a good location that doesn't have lots of sun shining on it or you would have algae problem later, and also I would do double liner (cost a little more) but save you from the leaking trouble in the future. I had that on mine which was really a pain to fix.
                  I think the double liner is great advice and location for algea. Rama just changed his liner out so he could help you with advice on that. Good luck.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Originally posted by rama View Post
                    nice!
                    -Chowchaucow

Comment

I used a commercial under liner, it's cheaper to use than a double liner. A few other things you want to consider about building a pond is circulation, filtration, and how to remove the settlement from the bottom of the pond. I use a bottom drain and a surface skimmer. I set up a three stage filter, my first stage is a pre-filter to remove slush and debri, the second stage is a biological filter, and my third stage is a trickle filter. It is all set up with ball valves, so twice a week all i have to do is open the ball valve for two minutes and flush out all the slush and debri. If not set up right you will spend a lot of time back washing your filters.
                      40 Gallion fry.
                      10 Gallon fry.
                      33 Gallon Shrimp.
                      4000 Gallon Koi.

Comment

I have a very similar pond to what you are describing. Here are the specs. followed by thoughts.

8' wide by 10' long. 3' deep at one end, other end about 18" deep.
                        filtration: 70 gallon stock tank w/ floor pads for filtration, custom-built spillway back to pond.
                        bottom drain and skimmer
                        45 mil EPDM liner w/ carpet underlay
                        2400 GPH in line pump.
                        Raised pond (approx. 1' above ground w/ rest below), deck built around pond.
                        Total volume is about 1300 gallons including the filter.
                        Stock load is 7 goldfish and 1 koi
                        pond.jpg

Must haves are a bottom drain and a skimmer. Both of mine are for pools and have worked fantastic for my pond.
                        Pump throughput should be double pond volume.
                        Install ball valves at various points in your plumbing.
                        Also, be sure to install a drain line (usually out of the filter is the easiest). Mine empties to a french drain.
                        Take Rama's advice and build a multi-stage filtration system. I have to flush my filter media by hand. It is messy, wet and time consuming. I usually do a very thorough pond cleaning once in the spring and rinse my filter media 3-4 times during the year. My water is always clear. I have NEVER had a problem w/ pea soup or cloudy water (some on initial startup, but after that clear to the bottom)
                        My maintenance otherwise consists of picking out pine needles, leaves etc., tidying up the plants and feeding the fish.

I built mine myself, so my costs are material costs only. Here's the bill:
                        70 gallon stocktank = $70
                        EPDM Liner = $259
                        Carpet underlayment = $Free (scavenged from dumpster)
                        2500GPH external pump = $275
                        Waterway bottom drain = $30
                        Hayward wide mouth pool skimmer = $50
                        Concrete and concrete block = $225
                        Stainless steel spillway = 4 large pizzas
                        deck lumber = $800
                        plumbing (PVC) = ~$200
                        Total: $1909

I absolutely love my pond and aside from the filtration setup, wouldn't change anything about it.
                        Liane

Comment

Working...
                        X