First anemone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First anemone

Ok so my tank has been up and running for awhile now, roughly since last oct. I recently upgraded to a 65g, about 2months or so ago. I was thinking about getting an anemone. I know the basics, stable good params and lots of light. But I need some of the particulars, the anemone "proofing" a tank if you will. Are there any speacial things I need to do in order to have a happy anemone? Also since this will be my first one, which is a good species to get? I'm asking a lot of questions I know, I just know that if these creatures die in a tank its like a nuclear bomb going off in there, everything dies. Thanks for the help.
    20g mixed reef

Basically you have to let it choose it's place. Just be prepared for it to walk all over your tank for a month or so until it picks a spot. If it has found a happy spot, then I'm happy. I think of it like this. Even if it picks a spot that I don't like, it bounding all over my tank and knocking over my corals again I like even less.

As for species, I wouldn't say any are more "difficult" than another. Just remember that a carpet anemone is nice that it doesn't move as much, but they have crazy strong stingers, and will definitely take fish and inverts out. I have a rose anemone and love it. My clowns love it too which is just icing on the cake.

A few mis-conceptions that we all need to clear up;

Anemones are NOT-PHOTOSYNTHETIC. Light is important because they pick a spot based on the chance that they can grab food. Changing your light will make your anemone move, but it doesn't affect the health of the anemone. They get their food from other sources, which leads to...

FEED YOUR ANEMONE! I've heard these crazy stories that hosting clowns will feed their anemone... that is just nuts. Anemone hosting is a 1 way street. You have to feed it or it will die. They have large stingers, and are not filter feeders, which leads to...

Anemones are NOT FILTER FEEDERS!! Feeding your corals phytofeast, oysterfeast, or other filter food does not count toward feeding the anemone. They need large, meaty bits. I feed mine raw shrimp, while others feed frozen silversides.
    75 planted (Being Renovated)
    Endlers
    gobies
    lots of nanos

Comment

Sea-agg09, im not sure where you're getting your info from but....... Most if not all the popular anemones for reef tanks are photosynthetic.

As for "proofing" your tank. Best thing you can do is to put some kinda screen over your powerheads. If you have vortechs, it'll be a good idea to put those foam covers on. Usually it takes a while for anemone to die in your tank. You'll have plenty of warning signs before it bites the dust. Unless you have an anemone chopped up in a powerhead.

Comment

I should re-phrase.

Anemones are photosynthetic, but you have to feed them or they will die.
        75 planted (Being Renovated)
        Endlers
        gobies
        lots of nanos

Comment

Working...
        X